is the Omega a dog?

Hi

What are the thoughts on the Omega from those who have owned /worked on them? Its time to look for a new towcar and the Omega would seem to fit the bill but has a bad 'reputation'. Is this deserved or is it just a few high profile cars ( those on this group?) I have spoken to two owners and had a reply of very good and one of very expensive to run due to time in dock. I would be looking at a 5 year old car of as high a spec as I could get, probably an auto. I hate cars with continual niggles.

Reply to
gaz

Mechanically sound, you'll get niggles though. 2.2 / 2.6 best buys, manual

2.2 or an auto 2.6 would make a good towcar I'm sure. Good to drive, bland interior but plenty of room and driven at the right end. Engines good, but bits can and will fall off.
Reply to
Tim S Kemp

I don't mind so-called bland cars, what I cant stand is unreliable.

Reply to
gaz

Had mine for two years nearly, no problems, reliable, just normal wear and tear. CDX will give you all the toys as well.

Dave

Reply to
Funkyman

The higher spec you go the more there will be to go wrong! This applies to all cars.

I would stick to CD or CDX and go for a 2.2 or 2.5. The diesel is good too.

Reply to
Alan

Thanks for all the replies, but I dont think I feel comfortable about one.

Reply to
gaz

I've had two - both 2.5V6 auto Estates. First one never missed a beat in the 3 years I had it, current one had noisy transmission from new which took a while to fix (under warranty) but has been ok since the diff unit was replaced. The only niggle - and it's never been fixed - is that sometimes it will not start on the first turn of the key. It has never failed to start on the second turn, so I've learned to live with it! It's on an 'R' plate so it's no spring chicken now, but I intend to keep it for as long as it stays reliable.

Allegedly, local Plod keep them in service for 150K miles - more than the BMWs and Volvos apparently.

Reply to
Mike Faithfull

I have an Omega 2.5 V6 which I bought new in October 1994 and it's the best car I've ever owned. I had a 4 year Sureguard warranty, which I never used, and it has never needed repairs except for a new exhaust and front disc pads. It is serviced at the correct intervals by a main dealer and I had the cam belt and pulleys replaced last year.

I tow a heavy caravan without any problem. The only drawback is the fuel consumption when towing.

Incidentally, I'm changing this car for a new Honda Accord Tourer diesel which I hope to get in February or March, but much depends on when Honda delivers it. The Omega will be available then, so I'll be open to offers if anyone is interested.

Ben Franklin

Reply to
Ben Franklin