Is there an ultimate cylinder head bolt torque for a M reg Astra

Is there an ultimate cylinder head bolt torque for a M reg Astra.

I say this as I seem to remember when buying it, the guy said he had just changed the cylinder head gasket.

As he did not seem very 'bright', and the head has now started leaking oil from the gasket. I was wondering if he had done the correct tightening procedure.

Can I check the ultimate tightness of the bolts, with a torque wrench ??? Or do I have to undo the bolts, and re tighten them up ?? as per the correct procedure.

Reply to
luke58

No & yes. But it's not that difficult.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

The bolts should be new, the gasket should be genuine, the tightening method is torque plus degrees.

Are you sure it is the head gasket? more common is the cambox leaking either above or below.

Retightening is very unlikely to help, if you like then try a tighten to about 75 lbft

Reply to
MrCheerful

Yes I know that, but unless you have the 'haynes' manual, a lot of DIYers would only tighten the bolts up, probably not even the correct sequence.

The leak is under the exhaust manifold, and the oil drips over the exhaust downpipe

I will give that a go over the weekend.

Reply to
luke58