It squeaks! Oh god, it squeaks!

Okay, I put my hands up, I'm female and don't know much about the "workings" of a car. :)

My little R reg 5 door Corsa 1.4 squeaks when I pull away (just when I've started it up, it's not every time I come off from a standstill). It seems to be coming from the wheels. It squeaks constantly for a bit (about 4 seconds), then intermittent squeaks (as if there's a part of the tyre something is rubbing up against), then it goes away.

I know, it sounds crazy!

Is there anything I can do myself, or will I have to get someone "in the know", to look at it? What could it be?

Obviously it does NOTHING for my image, which of course I have to uphold.

*grin*

Thanks Rachel

Reply to
Rachel

I think the fact you have a Corsa killed any image you had ;)

Reply to
Dan405

You could try applying the rear parking brake while moving slowly and see if the sqeak gets louder or softer.

Reply to
dsr

If you have switched on all the electrical acessories. i.e. head lights, rear-screen heater, wipers etc, it is almost certainly the alternator belt slipping, unable to supply the demanded load.

Try pulling away with everything turned off, and if the noise goes away, have someone adjust the drive belt tension, or not being chauvenist in any way... buy a Haynes manual and D-I-Y !

Andy Pandy To e-mail, address hopefully, self-explanatory !

Reply to
Andy Pandy

Sounds like the alternator belt slipping, two minute job.

Regards tox

Reply to
tox

Twas Thu, 8 Jan 2004 01:12:23 -0000 when "Rachel" put finger to keyboard producing:

Brakes or alternator belt. once you have started the car put the rear screen demister on, does the squeak change? if so it's the alternator drive belt. If not and it only happens when you are moving then it's brakes, the pads or shoes rubbing the disks or drums.

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk

Mr.Nice.

Sniff - it's red too!

Don't knock it, it's my first car! :D

Reply to
Rachel

Thanks all - i'll test the electrics, brakes and all that tonight.

Rachel

Reply to
Rachel

OMG, maybe it's one of those mice from the adverts, where it gets a hula hoop and performs?

That should be on my dashboard! Along with all the other teddies on the back shelf etc! (just kidding :P)

Reply to
Rachel

If you have wheel trims then remove them and retest.

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

If it's the alternator belt then it may need tightening - but mine has been squealing more or less constantly for a while now, and I tightened the belt which did not cure it.

So a little talcum powder on the pulley and belt did the trick. Made the engine smell nice too.

Reply to
Mark W

If you have one of those special performing promotional mice keep it, they will become valuable collectors items in few years time.

Peter Hill