J Reg Clio Starter motor problem?

Hi,

The missus has a J reg 1.4RT Renault Clio which has an odd noise at start up. When the engine turns over it starts and there is a screech noise for about a second after ignition. It's not a belt slipping so I wonder if it's the starter motor not disengaging properly? Any ideas anyone.

Cheers

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Either that or a slipping fan belt, but that would be more of a squeal, if that's not too pedantic. The starter problem would be more of a metallic whirring. Live with it until the starter dies would be my advice.

HTH Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Probably. My passat has been doing it for months. Worse when the engine is cold, i'm assuming that warming whats left of the grease in the starter motor shaft allows it to disengage properly.

Reply to
Dan

I recently changed the starter on my dad's J reg clio because it wasn't engaging reliably.

Took about an hour, but a bit fiddly. Got a second hand one online for about £34 including VAT and post. Lucas offered a new one for about £90 or about £65 trade price.

But for £34 and an hour getting oily, it might be worth changing it to see.

Pete

Reply to
DesignElect

A screetch type noise after the engine has started is usually always a dry over run clutch in the starter.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM. Registry corupted, reformated HD and l

Thanks for all that guys. Is it possible to relube or repair the starter or should i just get a new one?

Cheers

Reply to
Mark