Jammed Modeo Estate boot lock

Getting desparate now. Have been unable to get in to the boot of my R reg Mondeo estate for about 10 days. Sought advice with a previous posting but so far to no avail.

Have tried the advice re using different keys and spraying lock with WD40. Inspecting the door from inside doesn't give any encouragement - the trim is fixed in place with screws that can not be accessed with the door closed, and the mechanism can not be accessed - I tried poking a screw driver in the general vicinity but I'm not able to see anything.

Only option appears to be to force the lock from the outside. I don't even know if this is a realistic option. If I took it to a Ford garage what would they do ?

any help massively appreciated !

Dave

Reply to
David Innes

I'd ask a locksmith.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

Your cheapest option is to 'destroy' the tailgate inner trim as any atempt to force the lock from outside will damage the lock and the tailgate , if you cut a big hole in the inner trim then all you need to replace is that trim around £10-£15 from a breaker if not less . DO NOT try to force the 'gate open with a big screwdriver or crow bar as this will just wreck the tailgate and back panel of the car as one of our customers found out recently and he still had to break a window to get into his car . Try a cordless drill to 'chain drill' a hole in the trim.

Hope this helps

Radar

Reply to
radar

If the estate is like the hatch (mine), the lock button is actually purely mechanical - you press the button, and you can hear the whir of an electric motor.

Breaking the lock will just break the lock, and won't open the gate.

As someone else said, take the inside trim off.

According to the Haynes Big-book-of-lies, there's a panel with 4 screws behind the trim. This will expose the innards. You _should_ be able to manually activate the central locking control rod(s) from inside this panel, and the boot should open.

FWIW, the access panel appears (from the photos) to be about 4 inches up from the door latch, and pretty central with it.

HTH

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith