juddering '94 Golf, any thoughts?

sorry to say it, but it sounds like a blocked cat or further back bit of exhaust (the sound that is a bit like a turbo is the giveaway), was it smoky before the cat change? if so it may be blocked with burnt oil fumes, the old rattly one might have let the fumes past. if possible get a blocked cat test done (pressure gauge on the front lambda port) or try it without the cat/exhaust

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Hi all,

Can any mechanical Merlins out there tell me what's gone wrong? :)

My car has started juddering (missing?) quite badly in the last couple of days. Pulling away from a roundabout or going up a hill, and its pretty bad. Hills that I was able to roll up in 5th, now need 3rd, and I'm not a fast driver, this is just gentle driving.

The car: '94 Golf Petrol, 1.8 CL.

The recent history: The catalytic convertor was changed about 5 weeks ago, it had been making a racket. Everything was then fine - until a couple of weeks later, maybe less, the car started juddering! I've been a bit lax on the servicing so I changed the plugs, no difference, and the HT leads (and king lead) and all was well. Another couple of weeks passed and then on Friday I thought I'd better chenge the oil and filter - so I did. No problem - argghh! The juddering is back right after the oil and filter change!

I then changed the air filter this morning, and disconnected the battery for an hour in case the computer was confused. When I tried it the juddering was really bad, from cold, which is unusual, normally it starts when its up to temp.

I had a fiddle under the bonnet and found that gently squeezing an air hose caused the revs to drop dramatically and then stall. There was quite a bit of moisture round the erm...big thing at the back where the air from the air filter goes. After this fiddle the car initially seemed fine, but the problems soon came back.

One other thing: I noticed a weird sound a couple of times, a bit like when you pull away and the brakes have seized, and they sort of "spoing" back out. Well, this sound comes apparently from right under the gear stick - approximate location of the catalytic convertor?

The stress: Me and my Mrs are going on holiday to Dartmoor in the car on Friday ....or that's the plan. So any thoughts on possible cause and remedies very gratefully received.

Cheers.

All the best, Angus Manwaring. (for e-mail remove ANTISPEM)

I need your memories for the Amiga Games Database: A collection of Amiga Game reviews by Amiga players

Angus Manwaring

That'd be quite fast, 5 weeks to block a CAT. An air leak after the MAF would give you similar grief.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Sorry guys, MAF?

Thanks.

All the best, Angus Manwaring. (for e-mail remove ANTISPEM)

I need your memories for the Amiga Games Database: A collection of Amiga Game reviews by Amiga players

Angus Manwaring

Mass Air Flow sensor, but that wouldn't give a funny noise

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Nope, but the leak might.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

From underneath?

Reply to
Mrcheerful

the old carburettor polo (1975 ish) had a similar bit, I thought they had moved on !!

Reply to
Mrcheerful

On 23-Sep-07 20:20:58, Mrcheerful said

Hi guys, thanks for the help.

I've had the guy at work look at it, and it appears the problem was a split in the rubber around the fuel injection, a sort of rectangular collar about the size of a small slice of bread.

This has apparently caused the exhaust to come loose and that is causing the "sproing" sound on pull aways.

The rubber collar has been replaced, and the juddering has gone. I'll try and get the exhaust tightened up tomorrow and hopefully I'll be sorted.

If any of this sounds daft, please say.

Thanks again.

All the best, Angus Manwaring. (for e-mail remove ANTISPEM)

I need your memories for the Amiga Games Database: A collection of Amiga Game reviews by Amiga players

Angus Manwaring

Yeah, now the leak is fixed and the noise is still there - hopefully it is just a loose exhaust as described.