Just had a good 'un

Driving down the road in my ZX 1.9D, suddenly clouds of blue smoke and smell of rubber. Strange noises from engine, nowhere to pull in. Noises from engine stop after a few seconds and so does smoke. Red light on dash for alternator charging is on, next corner confirms loss of power steering. Decide to continue the mile to home. Parked up and cracked open bonnet. No auxilliary belt, but some small bits of it lying about engine bay and tensioner totally seized. Bollocks. Time for some spannering I think. :-)

Reply to
Tunku

your pretty lucky the remnants of the aux belt didnt get dragged into the timing belt, the flaying bits of aux belt get caught up in between the crankshaft pulley & bottom timing belt cover, timing belt picks them up & then its usualy good night vienna !!!

Reply to
reg

"reg" wrote in news:eus0sl$q17$ snipped-for-privacy@aioe.org:

Even luckier, I don't have a top timing belt cover on at the moment :-)

Reply to
Tunku

Very lucky escape :)

All that needs is a squirt of wd40 hehe

Reply to
johnbond

"johnbond" wrote in news:eutdto$nlk$ snipped-for-privacy@aioe.org:

Heh, if only! I had to pull the whole mount off including power steering pump and alternator because the adjuster bolt snapped and one of the bolts holding the pulley was rounded off and seized on. Got a replacement one winging it's way from an online car parts place, hopefully it will be here tomorrow. To add to the pain, the flipping Gas Board want to dig up my drive. They can bloody well wait till I'm done. :-) Going for a pint now, after a long steep in swarfega.

Reply to
Tunku