Ka Air Filter

I've been given the task of changing the air filter on my Mum's Ka (1300cc Kent type engine). As she lives 100 miles away, I am curious if its a quick job to change and would appreciate a heads up from those that know. Hopefully its like my Sierra which just has four posi bolts and spring clips, but hey, the Ka is a modern car and I am not confident it will be that simple.

Regards Graham

Reply to
Graham

It would be cheaper for her to get it done in the local Ford dealership! The cost of driving 100 miles x2 and then spending about £4/5 on a filter is a bit mad, unless you're going to see her anyway. Why would she suddenly want the air filter changed? Unless it's so old it's black and clogged up it will make no difference. It would be better doing a full service, oil/filter change, new plugs, fuel filter, new brake fluid etc. Don't be tempted to buy a crappy mesh type with oil soaked cotton bit, they ruin engines - especially ones with a turbo (not the KA!) as they do NOT filter sufficiently to prevent damage and the surface area is a lot smaller. A simple paper one will outperform anything else when it comes to actual filtration. No engine uses the amount of air a paper filter can pass anyway, despite all the silly claims. I think the filter for the KA is in a box, it might be similar depending on the model of Sierra you have. Take some of the torx type drivers in case it uses them.

Reply to
Rob

I'm going to bite.

You're talking s**te, and not taking into account the advantages of a K&N panel - namely the cost is usually paid back within a couple of service intervals.

Reply to
SteveH

Well if you take a couple of 6" long screwdrivers with you it's easy.

if it needs a new air filter after 10000m then there's something else wrong.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Right, Its going to be a standard Ford or perhaps Bosch filter. As close to what is already on there as possible. The reasons why I am travelling to do it are my own business (why is there always so much critical second guessing of people's motives on this group?) but for the record I wouldn't dream of putting her 2000 X plate, garaged 9800 mile Ka "supermarket cart" into a dealer or any mechanic. I am not doing the trip especially to do the filter, I just don't want it to get in the way of my social and drinking time while in London for a few days and was just mildly curious if its a simple straight forward job or not. Seems you don't know that answer as not a word about the practicalities of actually changing it. It doesn't need a service, but as I recently changed the filter on my Sierra and its made such an improvement, I though hey, it might help my Mum's Ka a tad and who knows might save a ml of fuel here and there. Oil and filter has been changed twice in that time. It doesn't need all that other tosh like plugs and fuel filter. God, he is going on about a turbo too. I think we know what kid of market you deal in (boy racing).

Bye, and thank for the zero advise.

Graham

Reply to
Graham

Many thanks. That sorts it for me. I couldn't even remember what it looked like under the bonnet. I just wanted to have some advance info before I get involved with it. I know these modern cars can sometimes make the simple old jobs rather difficult and wanted to check. No, there is nowt wrong with it. Just preventative maintenance/improvement.

Regards Graham

Reply to
Graham

Bollocks

Bollocks

Bollocks

To the OP, it should cost you about a fiver and take you less than 10 mins.

To Rob, I repeat my earlier post

Why don't you either

a) Post some useful, non-condescending advice

or

b) Fuck off

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

I reckon Rob fitted a chav air filter to a turbo car, didn't read the instructions properly, put it too close to the MAF and ended up with a big bill :-)

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Might be a typo and be 98000 miles :-) Otherwise, if it's 8 years old, a new filter will do it more good than harm anyway

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

change the oil every year regardless of mileage.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

wait till you need to change a headlamp bulb on the KA, one side can just be done, the other is take the wheel off and go in under the arch !

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Its been done about three time since new, so not to your yearly requirements, however, I am tempted to do it again this summer as has been 2 years and 2500 miles since last change and looking light brown rather than its usual clear honey colour. Any words of wisdom about doing that? Is the filter accessible. I'll use the trolley jack and axle stands to get to the drain plug.

Regards Graham

Reply to
Graham

And she exercises the a/c once a month and has had it re-gassed at least once has she?

tim.

Reply to
Tim..

Not a typo. 9800 (Nine Thousand, eight hundred miles). And as you correctly said, it will not do any harm. Lovely Black Ka with aircon. Not my cuppa, but great for the muver.

Regards Graham

Reply to
Graham

Thanks Mike. Glad its still a simple one. I hear so many horror stories of modern cars needing half the front suspension removed :-) to replace a headlight bulb or something.

Regards Graham

Reply to
Graham

axle stands or ramps will be fine, if you can (I can't remember as I do very few KA) undo the filter from under the bonnet rather than from underneath and you will get less messy. Use a six point spanner or socket as people often round the sump plug off, any car shop will sell you a new plug.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

And your point is?

FYI, she uses it for demisting and in even the slightest hint of warmth. If you are banging on about using it to stop seals failing etc, then I can assure you its icy baby and as good as new. Why did you even bring this up. Way OT.

Out of interest why does car aircon get less cold without use. My home aircon has never had any problems and not used for most of the year. Is it just an urban myth because some cars suffer or is it all cars. Certain does not apply to the Ka in question.

Graham

Reply to
Graham

Thanks for that. Much appreciated. Glad its possible to reach the oil filter from above. Fairly easy on my old Sierra as plenty of space, but from what I've seen modern cars seem to put plastic covers over the top part of engine (no doubt to discourage home maintenance). I'll still use stands unless there is some good reason not to, as I prefer them to ramps.

Regards Graham

Reply to
Graham

Your home aircon has the pump & motor sealed inside the gas system, no driveshaft seals.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Car air con especially modern stuff only has a tiny amount of gas in the first place, so any loss means that the pressure switches detect it and prevent the compressor working. Home air con on the other hand has more gas and less pressure switches.

Depending on the type home air con may not have any flexibles, which means far less losses, compared to car stuff which must have flexis and is subject to more vibration, heat, oil, fumes etc..

I have just finished regassing one of my home units (split type with flexis), which lost enough gas over the winter to fail to cool, even though the compressor still runs. While using the same unit, if it loses gas the first sign is ice forming and leaks of water appearing on the floor (so it is actually running colder than it should at the evaporator), keep using it and the next stage is less and less cooling. The balance line between too little, enough and too much is quite narrow, which is why it is a good idea to use the right gear to check and refill air con, these halfords aerosols seem a bit iffy to me.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
Mrcheerful