Ka Break shoe`s

Hi Guys

After doing the front break pads, with all your help, was wondering how easy it is to do the rear shoe`s on a 97 Ka.

Any tips/help or general info much appreciated.

Tony

Reply to
Tony & Debs

I've not done them on the Ka, but I did a set on a Rover 200 on a car maintenance course I took. Basically they're a pain in the arse, but if you take your time you should do it. I'd get some cable ties to hold the cylinders as they have a lovely tendency to pop out. The hardest bit is getting the drums back on when the shoes are done. I'd not fancy doing it without someone who knew what they were doing to give me a hand. Make sure you do one side at a time so you can at least see what it should look like :).

Reply to
Doki

I've replaced rear shoes on many cars over the years and it's always a fiddly job, especially the springs. I used to mark the spring holes with Tippex, but a better idea would be to take a digital photo. A cable tie on the cylinder is a good idea. Modern brakes are more complicated due to the self-adjusting mechanism. Check the cylinder for leakage by carefully pulling back the rubber cover. Use Copaslip very sparingly on all contact points, but avoid getting grease on the friction surfaces of the shoes. Above all, be very careful with the dust. The best way is to use an aerosol can of proprietary brake cleaner. Replacing the drums shouldn't be difficult, provided the shoes are centred and the self-adjusting mechanism is fully backed off. After replacing the drums, the rear brakes should self adjust after a few applications of the handbrake/footbrake.

Terry D.

Reply to
Terry D

Reply to
Tony & Debs

Do they really need doing? My mum's 88 Escort has never had a set to my knowledge. My old 85 Nova never had a set (and it was still in use until recently). My 105k J reg Nova never had them done either. IMO, a 97 Ka needing new shoes would have to have intersteller mileage on it.

Reply to
Scott M

Scott M (smorris_12@delete_this.yahoo.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Or rear brakes that are dragging for some reason, maybe as simple as a handbrake that's not fully released...?

Reply to
Adrian