Kangoo water pump made of chocolate?

About 2 years ago, my mother's Renault Kangoo (then about 4 yrs old) incurred a huge garage bill (well over £1000) to supposedly get it through its MOT and fix a leaking water pump.

The garage (a main dealer) has just phoned to say that the water pump is "noisy" and needs replacing. Given that this is the same garage that tried to charge my mother £700 for a new instrument cluster (that I fixed my removing & reattaching the connections) you can understand why I wish to god my mother would stop taking it to this dealer which I think is preying on vunerable elderly folk.

It would be helpful to know if there is a problem with Kangoo water pumps and how I might diagnose a problem myself. The car is otherwise running perfectly. Can't say I've noticed any odd noises coming from it recently but then I've not stuck my head under the bonnet for a while.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

I don't know how far away your mother lives but is it too far for you to go and listen to it for yourself? If there's no discernible noise you can tell them that they're trying to take your mother for a ride.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob Graham

I'm going to see it tomorow. I'll report back then.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Snipped

Try joining this lot and ask.

mark

Well I've been to listen to it and there's definitely a hint of "zizziness" at the cambelt end of the engine.

Given that the belt was replaced at 15,000 miles (along with a supposedly leaking water pump) and it's only done another 15,000 miles since then I'm not impressed.

It's booked into an independant garage to have it checked out.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie