Key/ignition/electronics problem

I've just bought myself a 1999 Vauxhall Tigra, 1.4 Chequers version. I seem to be having problems with the key/ignition/electronics, and would appreciate some advice.

When I unlock the door (no problem), get in the car and put the key in the ignition it won't immediately turn. I fiddle about for perhaps half a minute before it finally does. On other occasions a similar thing happens when I try to unlock the boot. Is this normal? Am I doing something wrong? And what is the beeps I hear just after switching off the engine and removing the key -- is it the immobiliser coming into play?

I did contact the seller, an ebay trader, but he reckons that he had no such troubles (yes, well he would anyway I guess...).

I do have two keys but I get the same result with both. I'd appreciate any help and advice.

Reply to
Bill

Sometimes I turn the key in our Multipla and the keycode light stays on. It can take numerous attempts to get started. We recently bought a Clio, there is a flashing light on the dash which goes out when you turn the key except rarely it doesn't, I had to walk to work one morning convinced it was knackered but when er indoors tried it later it was fine, it hasn't displayed a problem since but it is always in the back of my mind when I get in it.

I guess it is a symptom of living in a society where the average scrote isn't at all afraid of nicking our cars.

Reply to
R D S

It sounds like you just need to get used to the operation of the switch (and the boot lock), are you trying to wiggle the wheel a little while trying to turn the key? that can often help. I jumped in a late micra the other day, the way the key turned was not immediately intuitive, you had to turn the keybit to the first click, release the pressure then turn to the next. After a few tries it seemed natural, but not at first.

The beeps after turning the key off are usually either to remind you to take the front off the radio or take the key out of the ignition

Reply to
Mrcheerful

You may well be right about getting used to the operation of the switch. I've tried putting the key in the ignition and then waiting a few seconds before turning. So far it has been successful! Not quite so easy with the boot lock though, I still need to fiddle about before it unlocks.

I doubt that the beeps are a reminder to remove the key from the ignition as it only sounds after removing it. So perhaps the radio reminder, although someone else suggested it might signal a faulty alarm. Thanks for your ideas.

Reply to
ayaz