Kia Cee'd SW 2012 diesel cruise control problem

I've got a 1.6 diesel manual Eco something model and Intermittently, to no pattern that I can discern, my cruise control refuses to engage.

The "system on" light is on but no amount of button pressing (turning system on and off, cancelling or pressing "set" or "resume") will do anything. Even turning the ignition on and off fails to do anything. Usually, after some minutes (or on my next journey)' the system then starts working just as normal with no hesitation in engagement.

It's getting the switches replaced under warranty but it doesn't feel like a dodgy switch, more like a software glitch that's refusing to allow the system to engage, as if my speed were too low for example.

Anyone else had this? The only other occasional oddity I've noticed it that sometimes the car will give a small surge when the system in engaged. I don't know whether this is normal or a symptom of a problem elsewhere in the system.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

When it wont next engage, try lifting the clutch pedal and then the brake with your foot up against the stop. Could be one of the pedal switches not quite adjusted properly.

tim..

Reply to
Tim..

That's a good idea, hadn't thought of that. Cheers.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

May not be related but there are quite a few people with cruise control problems with Hyundai Santa Fe's. Reason I mention it is that Hyundai/Kia being the same company, it could be linked (but then again?) See postings on the Hyundai Owners Club forum

Santa Fe also suffers from this problem, where sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. The dealer has no idea what the problem is! Once the car is started, it either works for the whole journey, even switching the CC off and on, or it doesn't. If I stop the engine and restart, it may start working again, or if it was working it may stop working! I know it's not much help, sorry! Ian

Reply to
Ian

Cheers Ian. Your link doesn't work but after a seach for Santa Fe and Cruise control I found a lot of info that seems pertinent. Seems that a combination of clutch switch problems and oversensitive software that flags up the switch as faulty (when it's not) is the cause.

I mention it to my dealer before he replaces the steering wheel switches (that I really don't think are the problem).

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

faulty brake light switches or even a dodgy bulb can cause cruise control failure, the other thing that is not obvious to some is that cruise control only works above a certain speed (usually 30 ime)

Reply to
Mrcheerful

25mph in the Kia but I knew that already. Bulbs might be worth looking at and I'll get the switches checked by the garage.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+