Kia Ceed. Long cranking time to start.

Kia Ceed (petrol 10k miles) went in for annual inspection/service and its first MOT about 5 weeks ago. Prior to this it had always started immediately the key turned. The first start the day after took several seconds of cranking before the engine fired and this continued. The weather was cold (snow and ice) at the time. The last few days it has been much warmer but the long cranking remains. It runs perfectly well once started - no hesitation and fine at motorway speeds. I would normally take it back to the garage but it is in the middle of nowhere 20 odd miles away. I suspected that the pump was not priming but with the back seat up I can hear and feel it working for a couple of seconds when the ignition switched on. Anything simple that might have fallen off during the inspection and cause this? Any easy checks I can do? (modern under bonnet stuff is a mystery)

Reply to
Geo

I would be looking and listening for a breather pipe off, which could draw in excess air which could make it harder to start, once running though I would expect it to be less responsive than normal, otherwise just take it back.

Reply to
MrCheerful

Thanks for the quick response. I have had a good look/listen twice today but not found anything obvious. Took the mobile phone to make a video this morning and Murphy worked his magic and it started in a couple of seconds. Will keep an eye on it as can't demonstrate fault to the garage at the moment.

Reply to
Geo