KIA rust

Hello peeps, take a look at these :-

The car is a 51 plate KIA Sedona SE and the area is both sides of the chrome tailgate trim

I actually bought this car privately this weekend and although I still think I got a bargain, I can't believe I never noticed this tailgate...I was too busy at the front in the engine bay. I truly did not expect to have to start spotting rust on a car which is only

3ys 9months old. I thought all cars were galvanised these days.

The KIA paintwork warranty expired at 3yrs and the only other warranty is the 6yr anti-perf. I'd love to know whether KIA could be accountable for this flaw but somehow I think their dealerships will shrug their shoulders at me. Maybe I should get a letter off to Watchdog.....

As I expect this one will be down to me to sort out, this car is going to be less of the bargain I first thought.

Can any paint / body repair experts advise me what kind of money this would cost to get fixed ? Also, could the repair just be localised or would the entire tailgate need painting ?

Thx

Reply to
Tox O'Grady

"Tox O'Grady" wrote in

Can we ask how much you paid??

Reply to
Matt

"Tox O'Grady" wrote in news:1MuJe.18651$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe5-win.ntli.net:

I had very similar symptons on a Primera I bought several years ago (for the benefit of others, it was my previous one). In this case, the rust bubbles had appeared under the chrome door handles. The car was only 2 years old, so it was sorted under the paint warranty. My dad now runs the car and the problem has never re-appeared during a further 7 years, so it must have been a production fault. Given that your car is less than a year out of it's paint warranty, I'd be tempted to complain, but don't expect much as you say.

From the look of the photos you don't have metallic paint so the repair should be relativeley simple and inexpensive (i.e. localised, as you put it).

Reply to
Stu

As an aside this is exactly the same as Ghia Focus cars which have a chromed effect rail as well. The rail frets on the surface and starts off waering a hole through the paint layer.

Ford's fix is the addition of a thin PU foam gasket - it may be worth seeing if this is needed to stop your problem recurring.

Reply to
Chris Street

Its metallic ruby red.

I was going to take off the rear trim panel and unscrew the chrome trim from inside. Then take it to a paintshop and ask what they could do for a cash-in-hand repair.

Reply to
Tox O'Grady