Kia sedona RPM

Car kia sedona 2003, diesel manual. It not going more than 2.5 or 2500 RPM, even full acceleration on fift gear. Also glow plug light is flashing. I changed oil, oil filter, fuel filter, air filter as well, but problem is still there.

Reply to
Imamraza

first likelihood is a failed glow plug.

Reply to
MrCheerful

replying to MrCheerful, Imamraza wrote: Thanks for your reply. I will take it to garage for replacement of glow plug. I am first time user of diesel car, does glow plug effect the RPM? My understanding was they are just helps engine to start.

Reply to
Imamraza

Nowadays the glow plugs are in use regularly all the time it is running to improve emissions. If the system detects that a plug is no longer working exactly as it should, it will put the car into limp home mode, the first step of which is to limit maximum RPM.

You may have a different fault, but the glow plugs would be the first item to check/replace.

Reply to
MrCheerful

Interesting that. I've got for work an Audi A6 2.0 Tdi which is well, running OK apart from the engine fault light being on. It was in for a replacement cam belt and a few other minor things recently and that was checked and it was discovered that No 3 pot had a failed glow plug.

It was thought that it's OK to leave it like that as its only used for starting right?, and we'll wait till the MOT test and it can be done then. I say its running fine apart from a slightly lumpy tickover but other wise runs well and returns 41 MPG.

So by the comments above it appears that it does more than just make starting easier?.

Car is a 2007 Avant model currently on 200K miles.

Reply to
tony sayer

Absolutely, even a ford fusion 1.4 diesel must have four exactly (electrically) matching glow plugs in working order or it will keep going into limp home mode.

Reply to
MrCheerful

So this the same then for all makes and models of diesels in principle?.

I'm surprised they didn't mention or know about that but then again they are two dyed in the wool old style mechanics who have someone come in from just down the road once a day to do diagnostic stuff with their computer !..

This wasn't the Audi mean dealer my wallet is allergic to going there;!

Reply to
tony sayer

I expect that most modernish (up to 10 years for sure) diesels use much the same system or they couldn't keep the emissions so low.

Reply to
MrCheerful

replying to tony sayer, Imamraza wrote: From last week, occasionally it creates problem when I turn the ignition, it makes sound like "tuk tuk", but engine does not turn, after few attempts it turns the engine and work as normal. Friend of mine, told me might be starter motor is not working properly.

Reply to
Imamraza

you may have a faulty battery, starter, relay, charging problem, or just some bad connections, this symptom might also put it into limp home mode.

Reply to
MrCheerful