Knock me down with a feather.

Took my 2 cars down for urgent MOT's on Friday.

Both passed no probs, (well apart from some slight 'advisory' stuff.)

It was a place that solely does MOT's

I have often been left with a nasty taste in my mouth at MOT time, feeling I am getting ripped off by dodgy garages. I don't mind in the least paying for any work that is necessary. Least with this place, there is no financial advantage to fail a car.

-

JR©

Reply to
JR

and your point is ???

Posted from

Jim

The message from JR contains these words:

I've not been to a garage that does repairs for ages...and have been happy with the outcomes. When in London I used Cricklewood Bus Garage and up here in Teflon I use a place behind Asda which again does only MOTs.

Reply to
Guy King

In N.Ireland with the Test agency doing them I took a car from one to another for the resit and the guy came back up and said you really should get this seen to but as it wasn't on the resit form he couldn't fail me :-)

Now with the new test here (or new machines) I think it will be harder to get the cars passed as they want the money back for the machine upgrades - see

Martin

Reply to
Marty1a

Did you actually get hold of the flexi brake pipe and beind it to nearly 90 degrees where the rubber goes into the metal or did you just look at it in it's normal position? Unless you do the bend test you'll not see the cracks.

Reply to
Conor

Agreed.............The MOT system in this country stinks. All garages should only be allowed to repair cars.........The government should run dedicated test centres like they do in Northern Ireland.

Reply to
Paul

Is that Asda in Donnington? Shame it isn't the one in town - I work over the road from Asda, parking will be a nightmare for the next two weeks (crap shifts + charges now in town combo), plus i'm trying to find a place that does solely MOTs...

Reply to
Andy

The message from "Andy" contains these words:

Yup. It's not actually behind it, go north from the roundabout outside and it's down there on the right in the old church hall...follow signs for St Matthew's Church Hall.

Reply to
Guy King

repairs, maybe

been several times

ok... things like

then, I can't think

rip you off if

At a local main dealer garage that also did MOT's. (Now no longer in business). I never heard of a single car passing it's MOT first time. Got to be so notorious for it, that most locals stopped taking their cars there, and took them instead to a garage just outside town where they were tested more fairly. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

I had a car MOT'd at a Vehicle Inspectorate goods vehicle testing station a few years ago. It was a kit-car going through SVA - I asked him to do an MOT at the same time, and as some of the requirements of SVA and MOT overlap, he only charged me a tenner for the latter. He didn't raise an eyebrow when I asked, and had all the paperwork to hand, which makes me think they do MOTs as at least a semi-regular thing.

The authentication stamp says, "Bristol Goods Vehicle Testing Station" - take a look in Yellow Pages for one local to you, give 'em a call and see if they'll MOT your car next time it's due. You may have to use one set up to do SVA, of which there are sixteen around the country IIRC, and it's possible you may have to join a waiting list I suppose. Calling Swansea direct may help too...

Personally, I use a little 'back-street' place with a decent attitude which offers a free retest within seven days regardless of the reason for the failure, which served me well last time one failed...

PJ.

Reply to
PJ

When mine was done last week, it was _very_ thorough, to the point of being odd. They got a torch, and were peering into the footwell, making sure the pedal rubbers were in perfect condition.

I've _never_ had an MOT where they did that before!

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

Just been out there cleaning the dirt off the pipe..... the pipe looks old, but it's fine even if I bend it round.. I'll clean them up with something to make them shine and take it back. The annoying thing is having to go there and wait for the MOT and then come back again. About 2 hours in total costing me more than it would have been just to get them to replace the pipe and wipers.. The've really got us by the knackers! Given the choice, I'd rather go to the dentist.

Pete

Reply to
DesignElect

all mot test should be done this way , it is part of the test criteria to check not only the brake anti slip pad, but also to check for security of the brake pedal. and the only way to check this is to get a torch and get your head into the footwell.

Reply to
coistie

Lucky you.

PJ.

Reply to
PJ

you have rights - complain if you think they are taking you for a ride.

bill

Reply to
Bill

I use to think that but the government would employ council workers who know nothing.

bill

Reply to
Bill

No Bill, I'm not qualified to MOT cars. If I was then I'd do it myself.

Although I do know how to fit a spark plug.

Pete

Reply to
DesignElect