Knocking from front suspension

I'm getting some soft clunking/knocking from the front suspension of my Hyundai accent (60k miles).

It is doesn't occur on cornering (therefore probably not CV joints), instead it seems to occur on moderate and heavy braking. There are 2 or 3 soft clunks, which can be felt through the steering as the nose dips, and then sometimes 1 or 2 as the nose comes back up after stopping.

I'm thinking that this might be worn bushes, but could it be dampers or springs? There doesn't appear to be excessive bounce in the suspension, and no obvious damage to the dampers or springs visually.

What's the most likely culprit?

Regards,

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Peter Keating

The easy way to establish if it's related to the brakes, or the suspension compression caused by braking, sit in the car and hold the wheel and have a lardy mate bounce the front suspension a few times.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Post

Having spent a while assessing various bits - I've decided there are at least 2 components.

  1. Brake - possibly a pad lost a shim and rattling about a bit during stopping.
  2. Steering - one of the steering column UJs has a hint of play and can be convinced to knock if the steering is wobbled back and forth with the wheels stationary.

With a bit of luck, those'll be the only cause.

Mark

Reply to
Mark