Laguna 1.9 dti - Just stopped!

Driving along yesterday at 30mph in either 3rd 0r 4th the engine just died on me, no warning, no noise, just stopped.

Checked the usual suspects - cam belt - just fitted 200 miles previously fine, timing marks on spec, fuel getting through to pump OK.

Any ideas? Is there an immobilizer on this engine that may have cut in?

TIA. Pete

Reply to
""manx.exile "

@ mail.com"

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

@ mail.com"

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

Reply to
""manx.exile "

Probably a very wild shot, but when this happened to me, I had a snapped camshaft :-) (Obvious once I'd taken the oil cap off and turned the engine over.)

Reply to
John Laird

Check camshaft is still turning- through oil filler hole, or remove rocker cover...

An Immobilizer is prevented from kicking back in whilst the engine is running for safety reasons, so this is unlikely- the fact it cranks over suggests it not an immobilizer fault. The immobillizer lamp will be flashing wildly if there is a fault / problem when you try to start anyway.

Check all the fuses and relays for starters- then see if you can establish if you have fuel at the pump and then being ejected from the injector lines...

Other possibility is a failed charge pump in the injector pump, but when this happens the engine will usually tick over but not rev..

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

The message from "@ mail.com" contains these words:

Is there power to the fuel shut-off solenoid?

Reply to
Guy King

Not sure if these have a 'shut-off solenoid' like the old clockwork diesels did: modern common-rail diesels have the individual injectors under electronic control - the fuel pump simply provides a supply of high-pressure fuel (real high pressure - 800-1200Bar!) and the injectors are then fired individually by the ECU to let the required amount of fuel into the cylinders.

Reply to
PJML

@ mail.com"

Reply to
WebMonkey

The message from PJML contains these words:

Oh, it's one of these new-fangled things.

Reply to
Guy King

Problem found!

The water pump pulley was made out of plastic [bloody stuff should be banned] and it failed, throwing a portion of itself under the cambelt, punching a hole in the belt and causing it to jump enough teeth to do no valve damage but enough to stop the engine starting. Original check of timing marks was inaccurate. New pulley is metal so I wonder if this is not the first to fail? Engine up & running sweetly I am relieved to say.

Thankyou for all the replies. Swell chaps all of you.

Pete

Reply to
""manx.exile "

@ mail.com"

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

Reply to
John Laird

That's a point! How'd that happen then??

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot