Lambda Sensor.

Sorry guys! Forgot to put a subject heading in before, so many might not even open it.

Hi! I posted this query in aus.cars, and it was suggested that you guys may be able to help. The car is a 1996 Mitsubishi Pajero. Not sure what you call it in the UK. It's a 3.5L DOHC V6 model. It's on LPG. The part I refer to as an oxygen sensor, I think you guys know as a Lambda Sensor. Any help appreciated.

It might be a long shot, but something's sitting in the back of my mind that says my original thoughts may have been wrong. The car used to drive fine on both petrol and gas. Then, when on petrol, it would start to drive as if it wasn't getting enough fuel. This would happen after driving about 120km or so. It would then do this every time I put my foot down to overtake or take off with any grunt. Initial thoughts were that the fuel pump was on it's way out, because it was a somewhat intermittent problem, as the next day, the car would be fine again for about another

180km. Eventually the problem deteriorated to the point where the car basically runs on about 3-4 cylinders when it's on petrol. On gas it's fine. At this point, we started to think it was either the fuel pump, and then, once the fuel pump was tested to be OK, we thought perhaps badly blocked injectors. Again, another pricey problem. I continued to drive the car solely on lpg. It's been 6 months now with no dramas, and have decides to look into it further. It's a pain in the ass to have only a 300km maximum range. Recently, I had the LPG system 'de-gunked' from the wax shit that builds up and causes shitty running when cold. The guys had major difficulties getting the mixtures right afterwards, and discovered that the lpg computer was faulty, and would cost about $500 to replace. Funds were lacking, so they just disconnected it, and set mixtures best as possible, and all was fine. Now, I spoke to another mechanic about it, and he suggested that if the oxygen sensor was gone, it could cause the engine to run very badly (ie: on 3 or 4 cylinders) because it's not telling the computer to inject enough fuel. He said also that because the lpg computer got it's information from the oxygen sensor, then it might 'appear' to be faulty because it's working off dodgy information from the stuffed oxygen sensor, but in actual fact not be faulty at all. Does any of this make sense to anyone, or does it sound like shit? Crash Lander
Reply to
Crash Lander

Sounds like the fuel tank breather is blocked creating a vacuum in the tank and gradually starving the pump the further you drive.

Reply to
Dave Baker

I'm with dave on this one, sounds like you're getting tank vacuum problems. The 02 sensor would never give this much difference in running - its only there to provide a closed loop correction to the fueling which has a 'base map' of correct fuel levels anyway - if the sensor fails it falls back to just those base settings (which it uses when the sensor is cold or you put your foot down hard anyway). The computer only uses closed loop (02 corrected) mode at cruise or light throttle above about 2000rpm on most cars.

Reply to
Coyoteboy