Lambda sensor + leaded fuel

Will I destroy O2 (lambda) sensor if I run my car on 10-15 liters of leaded fuel that's left in the tank?

Reply to
Yvan

In article , Yvan says...>

I thought it was only the CAT that got destroyed?

Reply to
Conor

No. Lead fouls both the cat and the sensor. It usually takes a couple of tanks but it's not a sensible thing to risk even with a few litres. Better to drain them and use them up in the mower.

Reply to
Dave Baker

Yvan gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

How ancient is that fuel? Leaded's not been available - apart from very expensively from a very small number of outlets - for about a decade.

It'll be varnish by now. Lob it.

Reply to
Adrian

It depends where you live.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

"Duncan Wood" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

No indication in the post that Yvan isn't in the UK, so it's a reasonable guess... Leaded's not been allowed to be on general sale in any EU country since the start of 2000.

Reply to
Adrian

lithuania? probably still has easy to get R12 as well as leaded fuel. Just drain it, sell it next door and fill with unleaded and or that LPG you were fitting the kit for.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

his signature is a bit foreign. and Yes it is on general sale in the UK, I could drive 10 miles and fill up with it today, perfectly legal and above board.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
Mrcheerful

"Mrcheerful" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Can't say I noticed. OK, so Yvan's not in the UK...

Anyway, I don't think you would be able to - Bayford Thrust ran out of supply a few months back and last I heard couldn't find another.

Reply to
Adrian

Nedavno Mrcheerful napisa:

I am in Serbia, and here is leaded fuel available at every petrol station. And yes, R12 also, I bought 13 kg bottle a couple months ago for 35 GBP :-)

Back to the original question. I have dual fuel (petrol / LPG) car without catalytic converter. And I just fitted LCS (lambda control system) for LPG, and now I have (heated) lambda sensor in the exhaust.

Before I get unleaded petrol in the tank I have to get rid of leaded. The simplest solution would be to just switch to petrol and use it until the engine stops, switch back to LPG and drive to the petrol station for some unleaded.

Would that 10-15 lit of leaded fuel do any damage to the O2 sensor?

Reply to
Yvan

On 15 Nov 2008 14:44:41 GMT, I waved a wand and this message magically appears in front of Adrian:

Will it explode on impact?

Reply to
Alex Buell

points to " Leaded's not been allowed to be on general sale"

yes it is there, all over the country, check your nearest supplier here:

bayford say there is still supply, I haven't bought any this year I admit.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

It might, some are even damaged by using grease on the threads, why not just remove the sensor, blank the hole with a spare spark plug from a pinto or whatever and use the fuel up. That way there is no chance of any damage.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

"Mrcheerful" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Yes, yes, yes - now read the next bit of that same sentence.

Bayford are the only company with a licence to sell leaded petrol for road use in the UK, following the EU-wide removal of it, and there's a very restricted maximum volume they're allowed to sell. I'm not aware of any such licencee in any other EU country - and the problems Bayford are having securing supplies would suggest that they're alone.

Look at the "press information" on the front page of that site.

Reply to
Adrian

Adrian gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

My bad - it wasn't the same sentence, it was in the original statement a couple of posts earlier.

Leaded is not on _general_ sale. It is, theoretically, available in restricted quantities from one supplier. Who haven't been able to get any since the spring.

Last time I saw a Bayford supplier, it was about 75-100% more than undeaded.

Reply to
Adrian

No, he's not. I can't remember where, but it was somewhere he couldn't find many bits for his BMW in a breakers, as BMWs were rare.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Nedavno Mrcheerful napisa:

Few reasons. First, I have brand new BOSCH O2 sensor, but if I want to use that one, I'll have to do some cutting and splicing, and then I have to find a way to fix bulky part that BOSCH designed for connecting wires. That's why I'd like to keep sensor that is in now.

I can just remove O2 sensor and blank the hole (BTW spark plugs that I have are too small in diameter to be used as a plug, a friend fabricated a plug for me). But I also have a problem with a petrol cold start, my Pierburg 1B2 is running veeery rich (not a problem with LPG), so I wanted to start and warm-up on LPG, and then switch to petrol.

There is a solution for that, but it is much simpler just to use petrol with the O2 sensor in place. I'll remove it, I just thought that 10-15 lit of leaded would not damage it.

Reply to
Yvan

What a great name - maybe a relative?

Reply to