!!!! Land Rover 90 NA Ignition light staying on after turning off !!!!

Hi, my Landy's ignition light has started to stay on after switching off the ignition. It started with a faint glow of the light whilst driving, that then dissapeared after a while and then the light stayed on when i switched it off. I disconnected the battery to save it, when i reconnected it a week later it was flat, could this be a faulty alternator or an earth, I ahve no knowledge of car electrics so any ideas would be helpful before taking it to a garage and costing me an arm and leg.

Many thanks Cenick

Reply to
cenick

sounds like a dodgy alternator, but the battery should stay ok if disconnected, so the battery may have caused early alternator failure

Reply to
mrcheerful

Had the same problem about a month back. Try returning the the key back manually. It could be the internal return spring inside the ignition switch is knackered. I had a new one replaced. If you wished to replace the ignition switch part PRC2735 for a diesel I have a spare if you want.

Reply to
John Oakes

It's the diodes in the alternator. A vehicle electrical place will repair it cheaply if a new alternator is too expensive.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

where the currant is returning rather than flowing one way, sure its a zenith diode.

Reply to
Julian 'Penny for the guy' Hales

switching

I think your powers of explanation have reached a peak

Reply to
Malc

"Julian 'Penny for the guy' Hales" wrote in message news:SGhRd.75619$ snipped-for-privacy@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

That's "zener", not zenith. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

or........

STC130 Diode Pack £5.36 inc VAT

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

The message from "Malc" contains these words:

Nay, dear.

Reply to
Guy King

Probably the alternator.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Err no, it's a buggered diode in this case.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I've azimuth of this

Reply to
Malc

The message from "Malc" contains these words:

How the hell do I work syzygy into this?

Reply to
Guy King

Ok, so it's a "buggered zener" then. :-)) Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Put all the replies in a line

Reply to
Duncan Wood

wrote

I was going to make a bad taste joke about Lucy Lawless but then I realised you speel it diffrunt

Reply to
Malc

I'd just let it ellipse by

Reply to
Malc

On or around 17 Feb 2005 14:44:30 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@volcanomail.com (cenick) enlightened us thusly:

fecked alternator did this on mine on Tuesday. Alternator feeding power back through it's regulator/diodes.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

If all the replies in the thread were laid end to end....

Reply to
Malc

The message from "Malc" contains these words:

URDotParkerAICM£5

Reply to
Guy King