Law on seatbelts in motorhome

Anyone know whether you can carry people in seats other than just the drive r's and front passenger's in a motorhome while travelling? I don't think y ou can in a caravan, but in a motorhome? I'm looking at one that has some s eat belts in the rear but not enough for all the people for whom there is r oom.

Reply to
cryptogram

Seat belts, if fitted, must be worn. If they're not fitted, it's perfectly legal to carry passengers in the back. Whether this is wise or not is a separate issue.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

complex answers here:

Mrcheerful

Yes (and yes).

I don't think you can in a caravan, but in a motorhome?

Anything except a caravan.

I'm looking at one that has some seat belts in the rear but not enough for all the people for whom there is room.

Id expect to have as many seatbelts as berths, unless there are some inward facing (sideways) seats.

Reply to
Nick Finnigan

Starting from the bottom paragraph of page 3.

THERE ARE NO SIDEWAYS SEATBELTS AVAILABLE THAT WORK. Now chose who you love least to sit in those seats.

Your log book will state how many seats it has. This is the number that the insurance will use. Exceeding it will reduce your insurance to RTA and they will then collect all the costs from you.

The days of having 6 free range kids in the back of a VW camper, on loose cushions are over.

When the laws changed my dad stopped fitting the back row of seats in his 11 seat Commer minibus. The seats were out most of the time as it was used for deliveries during the week.

Reply to
Peter Hill

Not one of my V5C collection - including either camper van - says how many seats are in the vehicle.

Reply to
Adrian