LDV Pilot - service?

Hi,

I have two LDV pilots, same age, both 15ok plus mileage.

One fires LOTS of black smoke at start up, takes a couple of mins to run properly, but drives ok once running, but has noticeably less 'poke' than the other.

Never done much with diesels - in fact the last time I changed a fuel filter, i never got the car started again!

So, I'm thinking 'injectors' - right lines? Any tips?

Also i'd like to change the filter - what do I need to do about bleeding?

Cheers

Reply to
Paul

Does it give off black smoke when it's warmed up? There may be oil leaking past the valve seals and burning off when you start. Also it may be the pump overfuelling, I don't know what cold start arrangement the pilot has. As to the filter, does it have a black push button on the top of the filter body? If so, change the filter then *before* attempting to start the engine, pump that until it goes hard. Do it again after a couple of mins if you're not confident. This is easier if you have clear fuel lines, you can see what's happening. It's also best done with the engine warmed up, just in case it wants a bit of nursing.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

That or it's down on compression. Or both.

Make sure the battery's fully charged before hand & you'll probably get away without bleeding it, otherwise slacken the pipe nuts on the injectors, crank till you see diesel, don't get your hand in the way if it's spraying, tighten nuts, wipe up excess diesel & start engine.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

No smoke once warm. Interesting you mention cold start, the glow plug warning lamp on this one stays on three time as long as on the other one.

Reply to
Paul

Just took the air manifold off to expose the rocker cover and discovered a pipe from the rocker cover leading down to who knows where - can't see. Its splitting an oozing oil out, so obv not air tight. Would I be right that this performs the same function as on a petrol, and if not airtight would cause performance drop?

Reply to
Paul

no, most simple diesels have a permanently open inlet manifold and no manifold vacuum as a consequence.

black smoke is usually overfuelling.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

get the pump timing checked, if it is a bit retarded then it will smoke more when cold and sound worse.

Reply to
Mrcheerful