Leaking rocker cover gasket

On a mk4 golf 1.6se 1999 AEH engine.

Basically the rocker cover is leaking on the backside and oil is weeping, not a lot but enough to sort it out.

I called VW and they do not sell just the gasket, you HAVE to buy the rocker cover they don;t seperate them! Which is £100!!!

Any ideas how I could fix this without giving the stealers £100.

Really daft not selling just the gasket, which is what I'm guessing has perishned and in comes the weep.

Reply to
munki

list a rocker cover gasket for the AEH engine for £6.40. In stock too. They list the OE part number as 051103483A.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Thanks a million Chris!

I have a bookmarks full of all the usual VW parts places like gsf, euro etc and had not thought to have a look *doh*

A bit up yours to VW :)

It looks like a simple job, is it just a case of removing the oil cap :), undo the allen bolts remove busted gaskets, clean the surface put new one back on and do it all up again. I will did haynes out, but I think I read a bit on it some time ago in the haynes about the bolts have to be done up in a certain sequence and obviously torqued.

Have you ever done a job like this, tips and advice always welcomed from you kind sir!

Reply to
munki

Do all of them up gradually rather than just torqueing them up from one end, get it really clean before you start & check it is actually flat before doing anything.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

IIRC the original cover has a flaw in its design, which is why the gasket blows, which is why they modified it. So changing the gasket without a new cover may be just a waste of time.

However it might work and will be a good saving if it does, and not too much to lose if you do the work yourself.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

As Duncan says, tighten gradually, don't overtighten.

Reply to
Chris Bartram