Leaking windscreen Seal

The bottom drivers side corner of my windscreen rubber is leaking. Anyone tried stuff they would recommend. Preferably black. I have some excellent not setting sealant (IDL99), but it is a 'orrible grey colour and will look terrible if I smear a line of that into the corner of my windscreen.

Also, does anyone know the effect Jenolite rust treatment (phosphoric acid) has on rubber long term. I intend to let a little Jenolite seap into the leak by putting it in the corner of the windscreen and leaving for a few hours. The hope being it will take the same path as the water and do its work on the rusty metal under the window seal. Taking the window out is not an option untill I finish building my garage next year. Graham

Reply to
Graham

"Graham" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

I'm presuming you're meaning an old-style non-bonded screen?

I had a similar problem after having a new screen in the 900 last year - coming through the bottom corners, between glass and rubber. Apparently you can't get the old Comma Seak'n'Seal any more - shame, that stuff was excellent. The local high st car spares place sold me some clear silicone in a small tube. Trim the nozzle off, use a blunt screwdriver to lever the seal back a bit and get the nozzle in there, then a good squoosh in along the bottom and up the sides. Seems to have cut it down to almost nothing. Before it sets, a quick wipe-over with kitchen roll removes the excess.

Reply to
Adrian

More like that's where the water is showing. Could be anywhere and run down to there.

'Proper' sealant is black. Stuff I've used was made by 3M. Check out a motor factor. But the difficulty is getting it under the rubber in an even amount. There's also the possibility it's leaking between the glass and rubber rather than between the rubber and body. Could be corrosion causing the problem too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Snipped>

I had a similar problem with a sunroof and also found you can't get Seek & Seal anymore, but after a bit of searching around I came across "Captain Tolley's Creaping Crack Cure" (true name) Its a white liquid that set clear.

I got mine at a localship chandlers. Trevor Smith

Reply to
Trevor Smith