LED sidelights OK for MOT?

Just checking...I have front white LED sidelights - are they ok for the MOT?

Reply to
<bluefrog

Only one way to find out...

OTOH, a VOSA roadside inspection might have something to say about them.

Reply to
Conor

Hrm, as someone else said there's only one way to find out!

I notice some of the pretty new cars have rather pretty LED-style 'parking lights'/side lights and they appear to be okay if they're fitting them to new cars. But I'd check with your local friendly MOT station to see what they think before you pay for an MOT.

My only concern would be: How bright are they? Can they be seen properly? I'm thinking that if one of your normal lights snuffed it in the dark leaving you with only one decent headlamp while you limped home/got replacement bulb would you feel safe that the width of your car would register to someone coming the other way down a dark road?

Reply to
BGN

Well normal sidelights are useless for that anyway.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Not useless, as I can still see where the car ends, if there are 8 LEDs there the same power as my DVD player DVDs then I'm not going to be able to see it.

Reply to
BGN

They must show a steady white light to the front, or a yellow light, if incorporated in a headlamp which emits yellow light. The light must be visible from a reasonable distance.

Note: At least 50% of light sources in a lamp must illuminate Note At least 50% of each lamp must be visible from the front or rear as appropriate

So if there were 10 LEDs in a cluster at least 5 must work

Reply to
nospam

What's the DVD player got to do with it?

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I don't think any after market LED lights are E Approved, therefore not road legal. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Reply to
Dave Griffs

There are angles of view required. 80° to outside on side the lamp is affixed, 45° inwards, 15° up and down unless whole of lamp below 750mm then it's +15°/-5°, no more than 400m from side of vehicle.

  1. Wattage: No requirement
  2. Intensity- (a) A front position lamp bearing any of the markings mentioned in paragraph 5: No requirement

(b) Any other front position lamp: Visible from a reasonable distance

a = E marked and b = NOT E marked

Lighting regs state "Filament bulbs" require "E" marking, no mention at all about other light sources.

Dipped headlamps only need to have the part of the lamp that the beam is emitted from visible. Usually the upper 1/2 of the lens with a small wedge to offside and below the mid line for the kick up.

Headlamps, dipped beam, fog, reversing and all optional lamps may be completely concealed until used.

Indicators used to be concealed and pop out (or not). I'm not sure if that's still allowed or if it only pre some date that's permitted to have concealed indicators.

VW seem to have succeeded in concealing the rear indicator very well on many new models by surrounding it with the brake light. Can't see indicator flashing for dazzle of brake light.

Reply to
Peter Hill

"Dave Griffs" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Which is a different thing to whether they'll pass the MOT or not.

They're not e-marked, so not legal under C&U. They light up and are whiteish, so they'll pass the MOT.

Reply to
Adrian

possibly under the construction & use regs they *may* be illegal, but not the mot regs,we check that the lamps are E marked but not the bulbs. I had one last week with LED indicator bulbs

Reply to
reg

Exactly. That's why I reckon it'd pass the MOT but a roadside VOSA check might have something to say about it.

Reply to
Conor

In the end I swapped them for the MOT & then put back the LED afterwards - less hassle The LEDs are very bright, brighter than the yellow standard bulb

Not sure what the Highway Code says about when to use sidelights-I've always thought of them as a discreti>

Reply to
<bluefrog

gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Feel free to have a look. It's online.

Reply to
Adrian
[...]

So you don't hold a UK driving licence then?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

He's been watching that army recruitment advert where they drive into the woods and switch the lights off ain't he?

Reply to
Elliot

With the same angle of view as the original - or just straight on?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well they are NOT SIDELIGHTS.

They is "OBLIGATORY FRONT POSITION LAMPS"

OBLIGATORY means non discretional.

Use starts at paragraph 24

Peter Hill

And you _passed_ your driving test???

Reply to
asahartz

Peter Hill gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Indeed. But that refers to their fitment, not their use.

Reply to
Adrian