Legal Info for Tyre Tread

Hey Group,

How's Ya's All doing?

Just a quick question, for intrest .......

My two front tyres are well to say the least shafted, the inside of the tyre is down to the metal breading on the passanger side and has less than 1mm on the drivers side:(

Althought saying the above, on the outside and middle of the passanger side the tyre has 4mm of tread and the drivers side has 4mm in the middle and 5mm on the outside (Yep i think my tackings way, way off)

Would i be liable for penalty points if i got stopped? Not that im gonna leave it, but i just wondered.

Many Thanks

Reply to
NotSoCleaver

I should think so. A couple of days ago, my mate got a fine and 3 points for having a flat tyre on his van!

Stuart Sharp

Reply to
Stu

Yes

Reply to
Robert R News

How so, a flat spare, or driving with an under inflated tyre?

Reply to
Ivan

The message from "NotSoCleaver" contains these words:

3 points per defective tyre and a fine (can't remember if it's £1000 or £2000 per tyre max).
Reply to
Guy King

Under inflated tyre. A spare isn't required.

Stuart Sharp

Reply to
Stu

Legal Requirements for minimum tread depth is 1.6mm over the centre 3/4 of the tread, and visible tread on the rest.

Moray

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

Yes, and hope that the policeman is in a good mood otherwise he may try to test his truncheon on your head for driving with such unsafe tyres. Drive to the nearest tyre centre and replace them now, once replaced get your tracking done. Then, go to the bottom of the class.

Adam H

Reply to
Ex Alfa Adam

almost right it does not have to have visible thread on the rest, it can be bald as long as it does not have ply/cord exposed. So in other words the outer 1/8 of the tyre width can be bald.(a max penalty of £2,500.)

Reply to
james

Moray Cuthill wrote

I replaced my fronts at 2mm, and the tread was even depth over the full tyre width. I like to feel secure, it's my only contact with the road surface!

If the wear is not even across the width, then he hasn't been maintaining correct tyre pressures, not to mention tracking.

Reply to
Gordon

The message from Gordon contains these words:

Or he's been flinging it round roundabouts.

Reply to
Guy King

You don't even have to be driving the bugger to get points for this. I got 6 points for two underinflated tyres on my car whilst it was parked on the street outside my house! Ffs! Magistrates listened to reason and passed it as a 6 month conditional discharge, so I was clean shortly afterwards. Coppers can, sometimes, be real knobheads.

Regards, Jim.

Reply to
Jim Walsh

yeah right! this is a driving offence. It is for people who have a puncture and know it but continue to drive!

Reply to
james

What sort of criteria do they use regarding how deflated a tyre has to be before it becomes an offence?, as it appears that the tyre pressures on my vehicle can vary between about 24 and 30 psi according to load conditions.

Reply to
Ivan

ultimately up to the courts to decide. I would of thought the manufacturers recommended psi would be a good starting point compared to the actual or/and maybe a picture of the deflated tyre. evidence of wall damage? maybe damage to the road surface from a rim? twin tyres touching on the walls?

Reply to
james

Suppose that's because if it's parked on a public road, it is legally required to be in a road worthy condition i.e. T&T, with all lights working and tyres correctly inflated etc.

Stuart Sharp

Reply to
Stu