Lexus ans Audi v BMW for reliability?

Following on from the discussions about my 15 year old BMW 328i SE Auto, I'm considering a replacement under 5 years old in the £10 - £15 K range.

Another 3-series is high on the list, but I'm also going to look hard at Audi and Lexus, the latter because I've had several comments from (biased) acquaintances about their reliability.

I'd welcome any feedback or opinions please.

Reply to
Terry Pinnell

E90 BMWs are dull and incredibly boring cars. Unless you get a big engined car in MSport trim, the equipment levels are laughable, too.

Current shape A4s are very nice, the 2.0TDI-170 is probably the pick of th bunch.

Lexus are for corner shop owners.

Thought about an Alfa 159? - well equipped, great looking and the 2.4 diesel is a stonking engine.

Reply to
SteveH

and more reliable than an alfasud.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I'm sure you're right, but does the exhaust note make your pulse race? = Can a diesel really stir your blood? Can an Alfa have a diesel engine = and be considered a "real" Alfa?

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

It's a 5-pot diesel with circa 200bhp.

So it has that glorious Quattro-esque warble when on full chat and goes like f*ck.

I don't think I'd have a 4-pot diesel Alfa - even though they're a fair bit more economical than the 5-pot.

The 159Ti 2.4JTD is an excellent and absolutely stunning looking car.

Reply to
SteveH

Having owned and maintained my own and others' Lexuses for many years I have found them to be unparallelled for quality and reliability. As for the fuel consumption, don't ask.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Heheh, yes but the OP wants reliable.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Please point to any major horror stories regarding 159 reliability? - they appear to be as reliable, if not more reliable, than any of the 'executive' competition.

Reliability appears to be a perception, too - BMW suffered issues with nikasil, VANOS failures and currently have a problem with turbos on their diesels - yet they're still perceived as reliable cars.

Reply to
SteveH

My boss had a Lexus company car which was forever in the garage with engine management problems, and had at least 2 cats in its life. Probably about on a par with the 156s on the fleet.

Reply to
JohnW

diesel really stir your blood?

Most certainly..but *only* if you choose one without 4 cylinders IMHO.

It can be a bit loud at idle but, having had one for 8 years, I think the 5 pot 2.4 diesel is one of the greatest sounding engines out there for people who like hearing an engine. It's also an extremely responsive engine.

Something like the BMW 6 is much more refined, quieter, sounds superb..in fact it's a better engine BUT I think the Alfa 5 just nips it for musicality and response. I think of it a little like the difference between a young Terrier and a mature Labrador.

Alfa have a long diesel tradition. Their diesels are actually strong enough to make some of their petrol engines feel weak and feeble. It depends on whether you're in the camp that thinks that an engine is only worth considering if it can deliver at 8500rpm or not.

Reply to
Zathras

You're not going to get a perfect answer to your question. I still remember the AA man from a long time ago saying "I've towed them all" when I asked him if there was something better than the pile of junk that was at the side of the road!

I've no comment on Lexus other than I'd think it would be the most reliable in general. However, I was put off Audi when reading about their reliability. This was reinforced when I observed that I'd be sending my Audi to a nice clean glass palace full of lovely people in smart dress. My BMW dealership is a windowless warehouse. Now that sounds a lot cheaper to pay for.

Reply to
Zathras

Yes my evidence is anecdotal, but everyone I know who has had an Alfa - even you - has a story about some bizarre electrical fault or catastrophic failure of some sort of part or function most other major manufacturers seem to have sorted for the lifespan of the car back in the 1970s.

Yes other manufacturers have problems too, but I know plenty of people who have had BMWs and Audis too, and there just hasn't been the same drama, hassle or expense in getting them sorted if they go wrong.

If I wanted an automotive relationship with adventure, intrigue and the very real possibility of bitter disappointment I would consider an Alfa.

If I wanted to feel for my car what I feel for my fridge, I'd get a Lexus.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Easy enough to check up on local main dealer hourly rates. I doubt there is much difference between BMW and Audi. Both likely some 120 quid an hour.

My experience of BMW main dealers in this part of South London (three tried over the years) is they are all incompetent at best, downright dishonest at worst. I'd guess I've had some 30 services etc carried out over the years by them and never once had one done perfectly.

I now use an independant.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In article , Terry Pinnell scribeth thus

Had an A6 Advant since 1996, now used more as a works van than flash motah!, and only time its let me down was when the distributor sender hall unit gubbins failed but it did give advance warning!. Other than that nothing else worthy of comment other then tyres and other Consumables!.

Wife's got a newer A6 and reckons its every bit as good if not better than an equivalent BMW and easily comparable to Mercedes..

Dunno about the Lexus..

Reply to
tony sayer

Got roads like that round your way;?..

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , Dave Plowman (News) scribeth thus

Same here Dave, about 30 quid an hour:)..

Reply to
tony sayer

Anyone able to recommend one in this neck of the woods please?

Reply to
Terry Pinnell

Jeez..... aircraft maintenance hourly rates are less than that.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Yehbut they don't have posh waiting rooms full of dolly birds and blokes in suits to impress the owners? And do you get a loan aircraft 'for free' included?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Worth pointing out that the development of the modern electronic common rail system was mainly down to Fiat/Alfa and an Alfa was the first production car to use it.

Reply to
Tony Houghton