lidl hoist

Hello,

According to their advertising, lidl are selling an electric hoist from today. What's interesting is that it comes with some sort of bar to bolt it to. I've seen the hoists for sale before but never with this.

I'm only a novice at car diy, so I won't be needing a hoist for automotive work just yet but with Christmas coming and the tree wanting to be bought down from the back of the loft, I have wondered about using a hoist to lift boxes up and down from the loft. Mounting it was a conundrum but if this comes with a pole, it would just be a matter of securing it securely or wouldn't it be that simple?

Has anyone bought one yet; are they any good?

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

I think you'll find the 'pole' is a piece of scaffold they use to show how to mount it [therefore NOT supplied]. And yes they are pretty good. We've had 2 in the last few years.

JB

Reply to
JB

Here's the offer:

And here's the picture of the 2 boxes:

The 2nd box is titled "Swivel arm for cable hoist" and appears, according to the box, to only be the arm - not the vertical pole shown in the main image.

David Hearn

I think you will find it is too slow for you over that distance, a suitable gin pulley and a rope makes hoisting stuff in and out of the loft much easier.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Stephen brought next idea :

I have a small, but very strong, fixed pulley bolted to the beam directly over the centre of the loft hatch. Using just a rope I can lift half of my own weight up there.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

In message , Harry Bloomfield writes

So do you make two trips to get up there?

;)

Reply to
Paul Giverin

That's a shame but two out of three ain't bad (hoist, arm, pole).

I would like to ask how you fixed them securely but since this is OT, I'll shut up.

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

Fixing them depends on your roof, but as a rule of thumb if it's not a very old roof then you need a sturdy spreader plate and some screws no larger than 1/6th the thickness of the bit you're screwing into & normally totalling more than 10 times the size of the wire rope. The main rule is never stand underneath them, they do fail on rare occasions and unlike in the movies it hits the floor before you react.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Stephen used his keyboard to write :

Where is the fun in holding a button in whilst your item ponderously slowly rises up in the air?

Are you sure the rope length on this winch is adequate for a floor to floor lift?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Is 250kgs enough to lift an engine? (This is after all an auto group.)

Reply to
GB

Which engine?

Reply to
Duncan Wood

"GB" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

How long's this piece of rope, then?

There's car engines I can carry about on my tod. There's others that are way over that 250kg.

Reply to
Adrian

Sometimes you lift more than an engine, especially when you don't disconnect everything :)

Reply to
Rob

Quite. What I meant was that this was not much good for car maintenance.

Reply to
GB

I don't think 250Kg is enough capacity when you have to lift complete engines with gearbox attached.

Reply to
Rob

Just had a look at a engine hoist today (crane type with ram) that goes to two tonne. at the shorest extended length and 250kg fully extended.

Reply to
Rob

You're back to the which engine & gearbox again.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I have a 1 tonne engine crane which has happily lifted a Rover 3.5 V8 engine with a VW gearbox and cast convertor bellhousing attached, on more than one occasion.

Reply to
asahartz

Using a block and tackle which is 1/2 ton and that lifts quite adequately, a motor and gearbox. after all what does a whole car weigh? make sure its not on the capacity limit.

Reply to
Rob

& think about how you're going to get your arm free if it slips.
Reply to
Duncan Wood