Lifting a shell or car with a fork truck

Any compelling reason why I shouldn't do it (bar the obvious of a fork truck not being designed to hold stuff up whilst you stand under it)? Car in question being a MK2 Golf. I'd doubt it'd like being lifted with the engine in, but without I reckon the shell would be fairly light...

Reply to
Doki

I see scrappies doing it all the time. They're not dead.....yet.

Reply to
gazzafield

Aye. But it'd be a shell I was wanting to keep rather than crush...

Reply to
Doki

OIC, I thought you were just wondering if it was safe. By making sure that the forks were under both sills and that any offending items like exhaust and pipes were safely out of harms way or removed then I think you'd be reasonably safe.

Reply to
gazzafield

I'd arrange it so the weight was being taken at suitable points (using eg blocks of wood), rather than just putting the forks underneath and lifting.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

A long time ago I worked for a Rover dealer and we used to move new shells around on a forktruck all the time.

Not to work under though ;)

Lee

Reply to
Lee

"Doki" wrote

Check the SWL of the fork truck, it should be on a plate somewhere- the model number of the fork truck is often a giveaway- a Lansing Bagnall 25 lifts 2.5 tonnes for example.

Don't forget though that as the car will overhang the ends of the tines (forks), you should err very much on the side of caution when lifting- lift it a few inches, tilt back then push down on the car and see if it is stable.

I would also suggest you use some wood to avoid metal-to-metal contact

Reply to
Knight Of The Road

And presumably on a pallet or with the forks protected...

Reply to
PC Paul

I picked up a complete Merc some years ago. No damage and it's on the road.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

Some guys ;-) in a warehouse that I used to work in once picked up the bosses classic and popped it ontop of the office building....

That's still on the road... Once he got it down.

Tom Burton

Reply to
Tom Burton

Shouldn't be a problem, just make sure you don't catch anything underneath, like brake pipes etc. Also make sure the forks are long enough to reach to the sill or chassis member on the far side.

Reply to
SimonJ

Will do. Definately does a tonne, so a Golf shell should be no problem.

Aye.

Reply to
Doki

I actually saw this done once as a practical joke - someone parked a colleague's brand new VW Bora on top of a container using exactly this method.

This all happened during the summer of 2000, while I was working for Sony at the IBC Exhibition at Amsterdam RAI. You should have seen the look on the guy's face when he discovered where his car had been parked!!

Incidentally, the fork truck driver was a professional, and rubber pads were used to protect the floorpan of the car during the lifting process. Not recommended, unless you *really* know what you are doing !!

Reply to
Alan Dempster