Lifting equipment

After doing the clutch on the 'Scort, I'm find the gearbox a tad more of a challenge to get back in place.

The car's on axle stands at the mo, with the engine supported by a jack.

Anyone know of a place relatively close to Glasgow that will provide some sort of lifting gear to get the box back in? If need be, I'm prepared to remove the engine, mate the two outside the car, then install as a complete unit.

Ta, G.

Reply to
G-Man

I once used a homemade airbag (not the accident kind) under the Volvo gearbox to get it in place.

Reply to
Stuart Gray

You just need a mate to give you a hand makes it easier.

Reply to
jOn

Do you have a trolley jack? I find these can be useful to take the weight whilst making it quite easy to move. If you are working on a rough surface eg uneven concrete, a bit of sheet ply or even hardboard should make moving easier. Don't forget to use a clutch plate alignment tool or an old input shaft otherwise yo will be there till christmas trying to get it fitted.

Good Luck

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

When I need an engine hoist I usually use HSS (any hire shop'll do) and hire a hydraulic crane for the weekend. It's around £20, and worth every penny. I'm getting too old to be lifting cast iron engines in and out using a fence post and washing line ;)

I just wish there was an easier way of getting them up and down my cellar steps... :(

Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)

Ah, this brings me back.

Years ago now, the combination of constantly s**te weather, lack of staying power on my part, lack of days with decent weather coinciding with days when I had time to work on it, and the sheer difficulty of getting the gearbox back up to mate with the engine, meant that it took me 2 months to do the clutch on my Mk3 Escort :-)

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

And not only that, but be aware that 12Nm, or whatever the torque is that they specify for the bolts that hold the clutch housing to the flywheel, is not a particularly high torque, and easy enough to just nip it up and do it by feel. Worthwhile getting hold of a torque wrench for that extra peace of mind though.

Me - I chose to just tighten and tighten it until I snapped the bolt head, meaning I had to jam a big lever in one of the teeth on the flywheel, so I could remove it, drill out the remainder of the bolt, and then put the flywheel back on, for which I purchased a torque wrench, as I considered having all 5 bolts evenly torqued up (particularly, as at every 72 degrees, none are directly opposite each other) on something like a flywheel to be pretty important.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

The message from "AstraVanMan" contains these words:

Why would that matter especially?

Reply to
Guy King

In fact, scrub what I said, it wouldn't. Even a simple configuration of four evenly spaced bolts could be potentially lethal on something crucial like a flywheel if things weren't evenly tightened up.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

ROFL! Funny you mention it, the 'Scort has been sitting out there for 5 weeks now...

Ta, G.

Reply to
G-Man

3 of us and a very crammed bay, with lack of decent lifting gear made it a wasted exercise. It's one of those things where you regret taking it on, but if I didn't, I wouldn't learn.

Ta, G.

Reply to
G-Man

Unfortunately, I don't have such facilities available :-(

Ta, G.

Reply to
G-Man

I tried them today, there's a place just down the hill from me, but it was shut so I'll need to go during the week at some point.

Ta, G.

Reply to
G-Man

That's life for you! In the end a couple of guys from next door helped us do it, along with a home-made lifting device made from a couple of lengths of wood and some rope.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

trolley jack would be my choice, or if you need to take the lump out don't most hire places do engine hoists?

Sounds a bit extreme for a clutch swap though...

Reply to
PC Paul

Good grief, I have put these in by hand on my own, lower the engine so you can get a good angle, get the box on your chest and lift it on.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

The message from "G-Man" contains these words:

I've always eyeballed 'em, too. Never needed a wossnametool.

Reply to
Guy King

The nice man at HSS will rent you a stair climber :-) More usefully, keep an eye on ebay for a 3 wheeled trolley, they make heavy things on stairs a lot less aggro.

Reply to
Duncanwood

It's finding the good angle the first time you do one that's the tricky bit.

Reply to
Duncanwood

yellow pages, tool hire?

Reply to