Light jittery steering, bumps wrench the wheel

Looking for advice please.

A while ago my car (an H reg Clio RL) was suffering from severe pull to the left, which hadd been getting worse over the years. I replaced my track rod ends and after having the tracking done, this proplem has gone. This was my first attempt at car repair other than the usual service/plugs/oil etc, and was very pleasing.

The only trouble is now the steering feels very light and jittery, and bumps tend to wrench the wheel out of my hand, and cornering on a bumpy road is just plain scary.

The whole sterring feels as though it has no contact with the road, and I have no confidence taking corners, oh and the ice this morning was quite scary.

It has been suggested elsewhere that my wishbone bushes may need replacing, and if I was going to do this, I might as well get the whole wishbone kit as it contains the balljoints as well as all the bushes.

But before I sit under the car for 3 hours hammering at the rust, does anyone else have any ideas of my first course of action?

Many thanks,

Heds

Reply to
Heds

Also sprach "Heds" :-

Check the tyre pressure first.

Reply to
Guy King

Sorry, should have said, tyres are matched and at the correct pressure.

thanks.

Reply to
Heds

Sounds like slightly too much toe out, try 1 turn in each side & see if it improves. If it does go & complain to whoever tracked it up wrong (or play till you like it)

Reply to
DuncanWood

Thanks for your reply Duncan, too much toe out would (with my little understanding) fit the symptoms perfectly.

The other day I was cornering and it turns alright until a certain point when it feels as though its starting to turn faster. Hard to explain but it seemed to turn quicker into the corner, and I have to slacken off the wheel.

As I say, very hard to explain as it all happens very quickly.

Next question... Would it be a wise idea to start adjusting the tracking myself, or should I leave this up to the 'professionals' who obviously did such a good job in the first place.

thanks once again,

/Heds

Reply to
Heds

I'd get the tracking checked again somewhere else. Sounds like it's toeing out.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If you do have worn suspension components then there's little point setting the tracking. However, increased turn-in is also a sign of toe-out.

Reply to
adder1969

IT still sounds like toe out (or really buggered bushes but start with the easy stuff). & yes try adjusting it your self, then drive it carefully & see if it gets better or worse. If it improves then find a different professional.

Reply to
DuncanWood