Like a challenge!? Automatic Gearbox query.

Hey everybody, i'm new to google groups, so hi!

i have found a lot of helpful information already in here

and basically have narrowed my problem down to the fault code 25 which is: -

Solenoid 1-2/3-4 (Voltage High)

i dont know what this means, or how to sort it, i know what a solenoid is, and what it does, so no posts about that, but is it a problem with wiring, or is it broke!?

cheers, luke.

Reply to
luke__callaghan

This isn't a google group. It's a newsgroup.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A hint like the make, model and year would be a useful addition to your post, along with a description of the fault. The link in your post is a non working one too.

Reply to
mrcheerful

The message from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

He's right, you know.

Google just provides a very flaky front end to something that's been here for many years - long before Google even existed. Before even Backrub.

Reply to
Guy King

Yeah but who really cares? Google groups is an easy way to search through usenet(?) newsgroups and I think that's what the OP was doing.

No idea about the gearbox trouble though!

Reply to
adder1969

It does, but when you post via it messes up threading, etc.

A working URL may have been a help. But the problem is someone who asks for help on an auto with such limited basic knowledge of them is unlikely to be able to fix it himself.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Jolly good.

Ho yus?

What's wrong with it/what car? Not many people are going to click about trying to fix dodgy links to find out what you want to know.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Wow, i have been astounded as to the complete lack of useful information people have left for me.

Brilliant.

thanks for your posts, if you had nothing helpful to say, why did you bother, you clearly wasted your time, as i am wasting mine now. because not one of you had the manners to simply say, "ok i can help, just need a few bits of info" politely, you go in guns blazing with no intention of helping.

i'm so sorry to have wasted your time, because i dont know the difference between google groups and newsgroups, but it would seem to me that regardless of what name you give to them, tey are useless, because they are full of useless, grumpy, arsey people like yourselves.

Thanks again guys.

Reply to
luke__callaghan

So now that that is off my chest,

i know the link is broken i have been told countless times, i can only apologise.

however had it been working properly you would have found all the information you needed to help

The car, 1990 'H' Reg'd Vauxhall Cavalier, 2.0i GLi Auto (obviously)

The fault codes, 25 and 36,

25= solenoid 1-2/3-4 (Voltage High) 36= TCC solenoid (Voltage High)

and to whoever it was who posted about me lack of automotive knowledge, my knowledge is just fine thank you, my father is a mechanic, i have grown up around cars my whole life, but automatic gearboxes are extremely difficult to understand and repair. thus the title "Like a challenge"

anyone able to offer any worthwhile advice it would be much appreciated, but if your only reason to post is to ridicule me, then i would appreciate if you didn't bother. you'd only waste my time and your's

Cheers, Luke.

Reply to
luke__callaghan

You're welcome.

We were astounded by the lack of useful info in your original post. Even if the link *had* worked, why should we spend our time reading lots of old posts to find out things you could have just written in the original post in a few moments.

As for Google Groups, you did get stropped at for that, which is not your fault, it's just that Google Groups has led to a lot of total eejits getting on to Usenet who have previously been kept away by the amazing complexity of telling Outlook Express which news server to connect to. A bit like the overall quality of the Web went noticeably down thanks to AOL and WebTV in the 'good old days'. Like I said, not your fault, you just reaped the rewards of lots of clueless goons that came from the same direction in the past.

Reply to
PC Paul

And now I got mine off my chest too, in reply ;-)

I alwys find it best to save the efforts of the readers for the bit you

*actually* want help with, not for figuring out basic details.

That wasn't so hard, was it now?

OK.

OK, they aren't *that* difficult, but fair enough if you haven't dug into them before.

However, some clue as to the symptoms would be a help, rather than just fault codes which *sometimes* bear no relation to what is actually wrong.

If you can't cope with timewasters then I really suggest you stick to trawling the archives instead of joining in. Usenet is just like that - it's the arguments, nitpicks, flamewars and all the other entertaining bits that keep people coming back. We don't all sit here waiting to see who we can help for free next. You have to sort the wheat from the chaff yourself.

Reply to
PC Paul

Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh

Go pick up your teddy, put it back in the pram and f*ck off.

Reply to
John Kenyon

No they're not. You'll find an explanation of how they work quite easily. And I've repaired several.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'm with Dave, they're a damn sight easier than most manual boxes.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember luke_ snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com saying something like:

Have we met?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

yeah, thanks for re-iterating that you are all wankers.

Reply to
luke__callaghan

luke_ snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news:1157486905.711159.275620 @m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

Count me in. :-)