Long black hairs coming out exhaust

Over the last month I've found long black hairs coming out of my exhaust pipe. I can pull out whole chunks of them, so if Elvira Mistress of the Dark is stuck inside my engine she can't have much left. Anyway, it is a M reg Fiesta 1.6 Java 16 valve Zetec. Any advice would be welcome.

Cheers

Reply to
Big Craigie

Have you lost a cat recently?

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

The message from "Big Craigie" contains these words:

It's the sound absorbant wadding with which the box is stuffed. Or in your case used to be.

You can either ignore it or replace the box, but beware in case it manages (unlikely) to block the pipe 'cos then you'll stop.

Reply to
Guy King

Backbox knackered!

JB

Reply to
JB

You might find one day the engine is really down on power, then there's a bang, and suddenly it's a lot more lively and free revving, but the exhaust noise is boy-racery. That's what happened on my sister-in-law's Escort when it spat out the entire contents of the silencer. Huge tangle of rock-wool type stuff trailing along behind the car.

Time for a new silencer....

Rich.

Reply to
Rich Russell

The cab of my Transit is full of long black hairs - I blame it on my Labrador. I've not noticed them coming out of my exhaust, though! I've posted here recently about the complete failure of my heater blower, and I seriously wonder if that might be caused by her hairs, which I pick up by the handful whenever I remember to clean out the cab.

Reply to
DB.

words:

Any recommendations from anyone. I'm in West Lothian, Central Scotlandish.

Big Craigie ps I wish I'd kept all the hair as I could have made a nice wig (for the weekends)

Reply to
Big Craigie

Friend of mine had a long haired Alsatian. He has a gas fire with back boiler that pulls air in from the room at a low level. They were having some problems with it as the flames in the open fronted gas fire didn't go up the flue and made the room smell. So they called out BG. It instantly got a nice big red "DO NOT USE" sticker stuck on it. The boiler heat exchanger and part of the flue was solid with soot. The gauze filter on the burner's primary air inlet had a thick felt mat of dog hair on it. No primary air, poor gas mixing and burning = coke. If left any longer it could have killed them. They hadn't had it serviced in 10 years.

Peter Hill

It's usually fiberglass.

Peter Hill

The message from Peter Hill contains these words:

Ours can get like that in a couple of year even without a dog and with a high-level wall mounted boiler.

Reply to
Guy King