Long car ramps

I have inherited some long car ramps, you know the type you drive onto so that you can work under the car?

These are 600mm high 3m long, and the problem is that the driven wheel will climb the ramp fine but the un-driven front wheel doesn't, it pushes the ramp forward.

Any tips on overcoming this problem?

Ta

Steve

Reply to
Mr Sandman

Both wheels are driven, but length of carpet attached to the ramp is what you want.

Reply to
Scott M

Put them on a surface that doesn't allow them to be pushed so readily, or loop a strip of material such as carpet around the bottom rung, so it can't be pushed forward.

Or use a front wheel drive car.

Reply to
Adrian

Rawl-bolt them to the drive when needed?

Reply to
Graham J

In message , Mr Sandman writes

Many years ago, I made a pair of extenders, using hardboard - thin ply would do. Cut a length of board same width as the ramp and twelve+ inches long. On to one end, nail or screw a length of 2 x 1, then hook the 2 x 1 under the end of the ramp. The weight of the approaching wheel prevents the ramp moving forward.

Reply to
News

I find a couple of concrete blocks placed on the ground at the far end of each ramp provide enough friction to get you going. Or a bit of 4x2 timber to keep both ramps lined up, and get someone to hold it down with a foot as you start climbing.

(I've never got round to using carpet as described elsewhere).

Reply to
newshound

carpet is very cheap, very lightweight and easy to store, plus needs no extra assistance, big lumps of blocks or wood plus someone willing to stand in front of a moving vehicle are not.

Reply to
Mrcheerful