(Long) Tale of woe: BMW was a mess :-(

Got off the train earlier today to collect my BMW. Once I'd met the seller, I dutifully followed him, to get a ride to his premises, I thought, but no - the shiny green paint at the back of the car park alerted me to the fact that he'd brought the merchandise with him and was intending to complete the handover there and then.

'Very well,' I thought, 'I'll get him to come for a spin with me before I part with my hard-earned.' However, as I came within reach of the green monster, it became apparent that the proceedings may not get that far. There was a bad scrape on the lower rear bumper to accompany the couple of light scratches he'd told me about. This rang alarm bells, so I hustled round to scrutinize front end. On my way round, I passed the 'small scratch' above the filler cap. It was small in length, but big in area, like a big ugly S shape, and had been badly touched up to make it even worse. There was also a bloody long straight scratch on the rear door, which I knew nothing of. Or at least if I had been told about it, it certainly wasn't described as it was.

But the real sinking feeling came as I completed my walk round and confronted the mutilated remains of the BMW's front end paintwork. These weren't "light chips, with just a couple of larger ones." The bonnet looked like it had been subjected to a meteor shower. Large depressions of missing paint were dotted right across the whole length of the big hood in abundance. A lot of these had made it all the way to the windscreen, as the lower half of that had quite a few chips, too. It is probably the worst case of stonechipping I have ever known on any vehicle I have paid attention to. The car had obviously spent endless hours travelling at highly illegal speeds.

By now I was getting a stomach churning feeling of dread. I simply could not take this car. I opened the driver's door and turned to the interior to look for further signs of bad description. There were holes in the centre console from a previously fitted mobile phone harness. The inside of the drivers door had been scraped along it's bottom egde and was beginning to rust. Generally the interior was otherwise OK, but I'd had enough. I puffed out my chest and gave him the unwanted opinion of the car, my interpretation of it's condition, and how that differed from his.

He cringed and began to point out that it *had* done 160,000 miles and even offered to drop £100 off the price. I declined and stuck to the opinion that it did not fit the description of 'very clean and tidy throughtout'. Clean it was, tidy it most certainly wasn't. So we both parted with our tails between our legs, him to get back in his unsold BMW and me to buy a far more expensive train ticket and begin a nightmare 5 hour journey home.

There may be repercussions via Ebay, but I don't care. The car wasn't up to scratch and I could not part with my cash. The trains were expensive and I've had to cancel the insurance, which I'd pre-arranged so that it would be insured and legal for the drive home. But I learned a valuable lesson: I will NEVER ever again enter any contract to buy a vehicle without having viewed it first, for as long as I live.

Once I've recovered from my experience, I'll begin the hunt again, but it'll be strictly the old fashioned way from now on :-(

Reply to
Stu

Shame you had to go through so much aggro to find it was a pile of dung

- pity you weren`t able to take some photos while you were there as proof that the car was not as described to fend off "no paying bidder" accusations.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Colin Wilson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net:

Well, bugger it, AFAIK the condition of the car was not worthy of it's description and that's what I'm sticking to. If the seller wants to sling and mud, let him and I'll take it on the chin. It won't happen again as I've learnt my lesson.

Anyway, back to business - found another E39 that may be stretching it a bit, but would be worth a punt if it turns out to be a tidy example (decided my 1st choice would be an E39, anyway):

Like I said, a bit steep for me, but we're talking about a fully loaded E39 with a 3.5l V8 here! High miles again, but if I find proper evidence of good care & maintenance (with some paint left on the bonnet), I ain't too bothered. I've decided to go for anything from 2.5l upwards and bollocks to the mpg. I want some entertainment, as well as supreme comfort. And with approaching double the Primera's torque, this car should progress rather like a speeding bullet wedged between the buttocks of a bat out of hell! If today's episode is anything to go by, finding one in the right cosmetic condition will be the biggest challenge!

Reply to
Stu

Looks nice (says he who drives a lowly Hyundai Accent and almost certainly couldn`t afford the insurance !)

Reply to
Colin Wilson

oh well, at least you only got on a train I would have said to the guy first off about bringing the car to the station you always need to see the ca at the address on the log book and do the deal inside said address otherwise it could all be a scam

Reply to
dojj

What a bugger. He made it sound so good. I'd get my negative feedback in first if I were you, in case he slags you off and puts you on the defensive.

I don't blame you, but as I said, I baught mine from an eBay listing. You've been very unlucky in getting a less than honest seller IMO.

Looks and sounds like nice E39. As for a car in good condition, from the sound of it the E34 was exceptionally rough. Most I've seen on the road, '90 onwards have been reasonably tidy looking cars. Good luck with your quest. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

"Mike G" wrote in news:42f3d440$0$91528$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader04.plus.net:

I'm quite happy to defend myself but I don't want to be the one to start a slanging match. He's had all day to leave bad feedback and hasn't, so I'll do the same if it means I can keep my good reputation. Let sleeping dogs lie, so to speak.

Hope you're right. He wasn't so much dishonest as economical with the truth, IYSWIM. The faults he picked out on the phone made it sound quite rosy, but this wasn't the case. The official listing description failed to elaborate on any cosmetic faults at all - just said 'clean & tidy,' which was a half truth.

Cheers, Mike. This one is only 11 miles down the road, so I've picked it as one to start re-building my confidence, even if it isn't *the* one. No more train journeys for me unless I know they're for a genuine purpose. It reminded me just how much I detest public transport - inefficient, uncomfortable, overcrowded, having to put up with drunks etc :-(

Reply to
Stu

That's a view I can understand, especially on top of the hassle you've already had, but it rather defeats the object of feedbacks. You never know, it could save someone else going through the same experience if it makes him rethink his descriptions. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Bummer :(

I think pointing Ebay at this group will show your good intent...

...as will the vendors mails assuring you of its condition.

I wouldn't worry too much.

Not my first choice of colour or wheels...

The E38 Sport Pack upped the wheels from 16" -> 18" with wider tyres on the back so I'm unconvinced by the "SPORT" in the ad.

Only extras are the leather and the CD changer, all the rest is fairly standard.

There are very many permutations of seat options, you *do* want adjustable lumbar support...

There are various audio options but they're all ok unless big sub-bass is important.

Thataboy! :)

The I6s have R&P steering, recirculating ball on the V8s...

..Never noticed the alleged soggier handling.

The bigger motors only use more fuel when you use them. =8)

That sounds about right.

It shouldn't be. They are strong cars, well made of good materials - it takes a lot to make them scruffy.

Alistair J Murray

Such is life, but at least you went to see the car in the metal - I recently sold a boat on ebay that the winning bidder rejected afterwards on the grounds of he saw more details in the photos after the auction had ended! (That, and the cost of the ferry to get his new purchase home would have been about £400!) He now has another negative feedback on his account.

I did exactly the same thing with a Toyota Corolla that wasn't as described - a trip to the midlands and it was cr*p - I walked away but I was no timewaster and I didn't get any negative feedback, although didn't give any.

Nice car, monster mileage - I'm surprised you are considering it!

Think I'll stick with my Peugeot for now....

Reply to
Arturo Ui

"Arturo Ui" wrote in news:LsZIe.1879$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe2-win.ntli.net:

In the right condition, mileage isn't a problem to me, as I don't intend to add too many miles too it. It's sold, anyway :-(

Reply to
Stu

" dojj" wrote in news:dd0jhd$b9r$ snipped-for-privacy@news8.svr.pol.co.uk:

I see it's back on eBay again...identical description, except for the addition of 'minor stonchhips on bonnet'. Good grief! Like I said - meteor shower, not to mention the numerous other battle scars.

No feedback received, anyway. He currently has a score of just (5), so a negative from me would drop his percentage right down - not good for a trader! I suspect we have a stalemate situation here.

Reply to
Stu

whats the item number im dieing to see it been reading about it all along but dont know the car :(

Reply to
aussie bongo

aussie bongo wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.co.uk:

It's a terrific example.....of how deceptive photos can be! You wouldn't believe the difference when viewed with the naked eye, but that's photos for you. When I first saw it listed, I thought it was blue until I read the description!

Quite an eye opener ;-)

Reply to
Stu

aussie bongo wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.co.uk:

It's a terrific example.....of how deceptive photos can be! You wouldn't believe the difference when viewed with the naked eye, but that's photos for you. When I first saw it listed, I thought it was blue until I read the description!

Quite an eye opener ;-)

Reply to
Stu

I'd not go for a V-8. For some reason they are far more trouble than the sixes, and not actually engine related.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

As in starting the engine? ;-)

True the steady speed consumption at say 70 might not be that much worse, but the overall including town will. By quite a bit.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

thank stu yes i do look very nice in the pictures i use a digital cam myself for all things. and most time things look better than they realy are

Reply to
aussie bongo

it says it's automatci green funny colour :)

Reply to
dojj

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk:

Do you mean more suspension & drivetrain problems due to the extra weight? I must admit, a slightly lighter model with ideal balance and R&P steering would by my first choice - a 528.

Reply to
Stu