loose bits of thread in oil filter

Hi

When I changed my oil at the weekend I noticed that the new Halfords oil filter had a stringy bit of plastic inside hanging on by on end. I think it was part of the seal around the filter paper maybe. Anyway I tried pulling it out and it didn't seem to be going anywhere.. Is this dangerous do you think ? If it detaches will it get stuck in the engine or will it go into the sump ? I guess that the oil comes up from the sump through the strainer thing and then into the filter.. Maybe I just ought to stick a new filter on there just to be sure ?

Simon

Reply to
srp

Should have given it back to Halfords, unused. I wouldn't use it.

Reply to
R. Murphy

should be placed in the bin....

You would be much better getting a decent one - several of the Halfords ones I;ve seen don't even have non return flaps in them. I'm not enamoured of their quality.

Reply to
Chris Street