Losing gearbox oil

Hi, my car is a Toyota Corolla GLS, VVTi , 1.4, year 2000. After noticing oil on the gearbox casing, I checked the gearbox oil level and it was lower than the filling plug. Topped it up with approx quarter of a litre. At the time I thought it was the drain plug washer, so replaced it. Recently checked again, same amount down. This time I suspect the drive shaft oil seal. Any rough estimate of how much this might cost to replace. North London. Thanks for any feedback. Paul.

Reply to
Paul

drive shaft seal about 5 to 10 pounds plus labour about 60 to 100

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Interesting pricing.

Reply to
Rob

It depends how much the garage charge for labour and which seal it is etc. I was allowing for an hour labour in an average sort of London area garage. In fact that may be a bit on the cheap side, since a quick check on auto data shows that the book time is 1.5 or 2 hours depending on manual or auto. So a revised estimate is 90 - 200 plus the seal. or more if it is both sides. That is assuming that it is the drive shaft seal !!

Reply to
Mrcheerful

It's a manual transmission. And yes, IF it is the drive shaft seal. The leak is close to the seal but it could be a failing gasket perhaps? I'll keep a close watch on it.

Reply to
Paul

gearboxes are usually glued together and don't tend to have gaskets in the middle, sometimes at the outer end.

Reply to
Mrcheerful