Lost keys!

Hiya,

I have a K registration, 1.3 VW Polo. I have lost the keys. It is just a simple door and ignition key.

I phoned the VW dealers, and was advised to remove the door handle and bring it to them. They found a 4 digit serial code, and after seeing all the paperwork proving ownership, cut me a replacement key. This key worked in the driver's door look, whilst it was out of the door. This new key looked quite different, much sharper edged and more angular than the old key.

On arriving home, the new key does not work in the ignition, it will fit in the ignition, but won't turn. The wheel lock is on, but rocking and turning the wheel doesn't help. The new key does not work in the driver's side lock any more, once I screw it back into the door. But the new key does work in the passenger door and in the boot.

I rang the VW dealer back up, and they were at a loss. Suggested that the driver's door lock and the ignition lock might be worn and warped. Advised to gently file the new key with emery paper and to use lots of WD40 and try again. No avail.

I have no idea what to do next. I don't think the car is worth a lot, and it is likely to be very expensive to get it towed to a garage, and all the locked changed.

Any ideas very greatfully recieved. Does anyone know how straightforwards changing the ignition lock would be? It isn't in the Haynes manual ;-) Or is there is a better place to direct these questions, please let me know.

Many thanks

Pip

PS posting address is invalid. Contact address is wingedhorse at btinternet . com

Reply to
wingedhorse

I am often surprised by how many people only have one set of keys for their car. Losing the keys can mean spending hundreds of pounds, sometimes thousands on modern cars.

removing the ignition key barrel is intentionally quite difficult if you do not have the correct key, as the lock needs to be in the on position for removal.

If you only had one key before then a key which will fit one of the other locks (preferably the least worn, like the passenger door or boot) should fit the ignition. It sounds as if you have finished off the key you had cut. Try and get another and make sure it fits all the locks ok before trying the ignition. New keys are usually sharp and sometimes need to be smoothed a little with a power wire brush.

If you are not already skilled in ignition lock removal, then I strongly suggest you get an expert to do it.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

....and probably worth more than the car to go to this expense? Maybe you can (given you have sort of put yourself in this position by not ensuring you have a spare) also maybe if necessary get spare ignition barrel from breakers with key etc or full lock set. Seems a bit extreme but just a possibility. Dont forget car may have been broken into in past therefore locks may not fit key all round, did they before? Ouch, costly mistake.

Reply to
TonyF

Try a proper locksmith instead of a VW dealer? One charged me £65 for a set of 3 transponder keys for my Ka - including getting into the car (which he didn't have to do in the end as I'd got a spare door key) and recoding the computer. Should be less than that for a Polo without a computer, and I'd say a locksmith has more chance of getting it right than VW cutting the key by numbers.

Reply to
Doki