Lotus Elise with K-series engine

I would love to own a Lotus Elise however the new 111R with the Toyota engine is slightly out of my budget. Has anyone had any good or bad experiences with the k-series engine to help me with my decision?

Thanks, Nick.

Reply to
nicko.edwards

The K Series is a bloody good engine when setup correctly. If it hasn't been done then get the remote thermostat kit.

Reply to
gazzafield

I read a comment the other day (on parkers.co.uk IIRC, somewhere like that), that for some unknown reason Elises don't suffer from head gasket failure as often as other cars with the same engine.

Reply to
Tony Houghton

It's not unknown. Lotus just obviously provide a decent cooling system.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

I suspect it's more to do with the fact that Lotus hand finish the heads before fitting 'em.

I doubt the hand finishing is any more complicated than shaking it to get all the casting sand out, although this is more than Rover ever bothered to do. One of the common causes of K series head death is due to a build up of casting sand in the waterways. Casting sand that shouldn't be there.

Reply to
Pete M

( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

This URL came up in a different K-series thread the other day.

Fascinating.

In short - get a K, not a 111 - and make a couple of essential mods.

Adrian

There is a lot of s**te talked about the K Series engine. It had two known faults, since cured. Read this:-

gazzafield

I should read the rest of the thread first. Adrian beat me to it. DOH!

Reply to
gazzafield

I'd not read that article until Adrian posted it, as for the sand, I've seen quite a lot come out of K-series heads and I'm sure it ain't good...

Reply to
Pete M

A regular flushing of the cooling system deals with that one.

Reply to
gazzafield