Low Coolant Light Pug 306

Just acquired a 306 Turbo Diesel 1997 on a P plate.

Have checked the coolant levels and these seem fine, but for some reason the low coolant light keeps coming on.

When the car is moving the light is off, but when you pull up at traffic lights and first start the car this low coolant light comes on! It's very annoying!

Does anyone have any suggestions? I seem to remember a mate that had a

92 205 GTI having a flickering low coolant light and was just wondering if it was a peugeot thing.

Cheers!

Reply to
Charlie Mitchell

======================== Just a possibility......

It's possible that you're losing coolant much quicker than you think.

I had a similar situation on my 106 which I traced to a leak from the union on the top of the block which feeds the return hose to the expansion tank.

I'm not familiar with the 306 but the general cooling system appears to be very similar.

This union is a steel tube which is pressed into the top of the block and being steel it's prone to corrosion.

My cure was to carefully remove the pressed-in part (by judicious 'wiggling' with pliers). The hole left in the block was then drilled and tapped to take a standard 1/4" BSP pipe fitting which has been in place for about 6 months with no further problems.

It would be worth a quick check to see if there is any sign of a leak from the union on your car.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Just a thought with you saying you have just acquired the vehicle - its not the water in the diesel light flickering is it?

Bill

Reply to
Bill