Low cost new Battery

My 2002 Corolla Battery was dead flat this evening, so I am charging it up overnight and then off to Halfords (they fit a new one for £10) or Nearby Toyota Main Dealer or where else might you suggest? To get a new Battery fitted.

I do want to run this Corolla for as long as possible; so am willing to go for a 'new' battery, but do want to keep the price as reasonable as is possible.

This 'know-nothing' is grateful for any advice you can offer.

Reply to
john west

bosch, they last well and are not too bad on price. Original yuasa would be a good bet also, but not cheap.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

IMHO, worth getting a decent make if you want it to last. The Bosch silver on my BMW did 11 years which is pretty good.

Halfords or a main dealer ain't going to give you a good price.

If you have a EuroCarParts near you, they're not bad price wise for a chain, and they also do mail order. Or check Ebay.

Do you really have to pay to have it fitted?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Compare prices with somewhere like Euro Car Parts or other local motor factors? GSF and Unipart are some other national chains. ECP are usually better value compared with Halfords (eg 45 v 60 pounds for the cheapest for a 1.6 Corolla).

Check the capacity (Ah) and startup current/cold cranking amps (CCA) match or exceed your existing battery. Also check the voltage (probably 12V) and physical dimensions match, and that the terminals and base clamps match. Usually you can give your vehicle registration and the motor factors will check it's suitable for your car.

Changing a battery is fairly straightforward - the main thing is to have a note of the radio code because it might go into 'security' mode if battery power is removed (but that'll happen anyway if the battery is completely flat).

I'm not familiar with the Corolla, but in general the process is:

Remove negative connection Remove positive connection Unscrew mounting bolts Lift and remove Place in new battery Screw in mounting bolts Connect positive terminal and screw up Connect negative terminal and screw Take old battery to the tip/sell to scrap merchant

The important thing is not to short the terminals together with your spanner, and to make sure you get the terminals the right way round when you refit. Other than that it's quite simple.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

Gives you someone to sue when they "lose" all the codes.

Reply to
Peter Hill

If the original was dead flat as the OP suggests, this will already have happened.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Many batteries have a universal code number. Usually a three digit, something like 069. One with the same number should be an exact replacement, regardless of make.

Bosch seem to re-arrange the same number for some reason - like say 960 instead of 069.

This is a useful site that gives what those codes mean and the dimensions, etc.

Dave Plowman (News)

+1 on all points. My last battery was from EuroCarParts.
Reply to
newshound

GSF usually have a 35 percent off at the weekend promo. Mind you, that only makes their battery prices reasonable. If the OP has a Costco card go there for a well priced Bosch, they fit them too (or did last time I noticed, for 2 quid plus vat)

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Thanks to all. ECP delivered a Bosh battery next day, less price than the Halfords and it included delivery.

Reply to
john west