LT35 won't start!

Hi - just new to the group and need to pick your brains!( I don't have any of my own!)

I have a diesel vw LT35 1995- haven't used it since before christmas due to leaking sump- (which is sorted now) tried to start it today and nothing happened- it was fine before

Battery is charged- lights, radio, fan etc all work fine

On turning the ignition key there are no warning lights lit on the dashboard for a few seconds- then a weird crackiling noise from under the dash somewhere- and the battery/oil light heater plug light etc eventually come on- but when you go to start all warning lights go out and nothing at all happens- not even a click-

I am thinking it must be a fuse or relay somewhere- as it was all working fine 3/4 weeks ago- and the electrics haven't been messed with since only sump- any ideas would be appreciated thanks in advance

regards

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Probably the ignition switch. Had the same problem on a similar VW model. Actually, it'll be the big white 'terminal block' on the back of the switch. Give it wiggle and you'll probably find that it starts. Not expensive to get replaced.

Alternatively it could be the starter relay. No idea how to direct you to it on an LT35 I'm afraid.

Al.

Reply to
Al

Hi Al- thanks for that- i'll give the ignition switch a go in the morning- the crackling sound seems to be coming from the relays/ fusebox in the passenger footwell- so if one of those has something to do with ignition/starter then your second option could also be right- can't find any info anywhere about which relay is which though! -thank you for your help- much appreciated Mike

Reply to
Mike

This forum has a LT section

which I've found useful.

Reply to
Graham

Thanks Graham

Reply to
Mike

Try cleaning the battery connections and make sure they are tight Des

Reply to
Carricktraders

Thanks - the battery and leads are brand new- actually i'm starting to think that the new battery might be duff- i borrowed a battery charger and it was showing as fully charged but then it blew the charger fuse- so i think there may be a problem- anyway the battery is going back to the shop today to be replaced so we'll see regards Mike

Reply to
Mike

could you help i have a vw lt35 2.5 turbo desile that will only run on easy start when you first sart it i have had a new pump and glow plug had the coppretion checked and had the ecu checked now im stuck.

url:

greg

replying to greg, Molelike wrote: Same thing on my 96 lt35 I have narrowed it down to being a dirty fuel injector or ignition fault , working on the ignition now will let you know

Reply to
Molelike

I doubt if Greg will be interested eight years later.

Reply to
Peter Parry