lumenition rev limiter

I've just tried to install a second hand lumenition ERL-V adjustable rev limiter. It's got three wires, black to earth, red to 12v and brown to the -ve on the coil. After wiring it in it doesn't seem to be limiting the rev's at all no matter where I have the adjustment screw positioned.

The engine is a 1760cc crossflow with what I believe to be a Lotus twincam electronic ignition system. The coil appears to have a ballast, so I've connected the red wire to a known good 12v source while the ignition is on. Has anyone got any experience of getting these things to work, particularly with this or a similar setup?

Thanks,

Ben.

Reply to
beng77

Silly question Ben, but you have removed the 12v live from the coil (the original 12V live) and *replaced* it with the one from the rev limiter?

Reply to
Simon Atkinson

Bollox - just reelaised that's crap - the one I had went in series with the live feed to the coil - your's appears not to. Sorry.

Reply to
Simon Atkinson

The trouble I'm having is mostly related to the fact I'm not totally sure how to wire the thing up in the first place, but as there are only three wires I cannot be far off. Thinking about it though having it wired in like this may not have any affect because the -ve feed for the coil is connected in parallel with the brown wire therefore cancelling out any effect. Maybe I've got it wrong and should do as you have suggested and dismissed. I hope I haven't fried the thing by wiring it up wrong.

I'm going to do some tests with the multimeter to see if I can get an answer to the problem.

Ben.

Reply to
beng77

After doing some tests the brown wire seems to be earthed, but it does fluctuate a little but only millivolts. Maybe I have fried it after all. Luckily for me it only cost about £15 off ebay. Can someone confirm how it's wired up properly before I go and buy another one, as it'll probably have to be a new one this time.

Thanks,

Ben.

Reply to
beng77

I reckon it's black to ground, Red to the old supply wire to the coil and the brown to the coil to replace the old suply wire.

Reply to
Simon Atkinson

Doesn't work like that, leccy takes the path of least resistance so you can quite easily tap into the +12 for the coil and when the limiter opens the coil won't get power, however Lumenition limiters don't work like that, they remove the earth.

Should be. Red - Ignition switched 12V Black - Earth Brown - Coil Negative Connection.

So if you've had the brown wire to 12V's you've fried it mate.

Matt

Reply to
**-**

Sounds more like it shorts the input to the coil (from the points etc) which *is* its earth. To remove the earth to it you'd need to have it in series with the points or amp.

Could be it's got protection.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

That's the only way I've had it wired so far i.e. brown to -ve on the coil, but as I said the original earth on the coil is connected in parallel seemingly cancelling out the limiting effect. Have I got this assumption wrong?

I could do with getting this thing installed because she'll rev to 7000rpm very easily. It's been built to withstand that punishment, but to keep it one piece I want to limit it to 6500rpm and probably a bit lower for track days.

Ben.

Reply to
beng77