'M' Corsa noise from rear/underneath

Mrs Chewie's M reg Corsa has a nasty sounding clunk/clang when going over harsh bumps or speed humps. The more the car is loaded, the more it makes this noise; she took three friends for a night out on Saturday and says it was doing it over the slightest bump. I've looked underneath and around the back end and can't see anything. Things aren't helped by the fact that I can't make it do it at standstill - I had our three kids and the wife in the car last week and bounced it up and down while laying under the back end but nothing was happening! It sounds just like the exhaust clanging (rather than a knocking shock absorber) but the only thig near to it is the beam axle and, by the look of it, it ain't getting near enough to that. The exhaust seems well tethered as I can't move it more than about half an inch in any direction by hand. I recently learned that a trade customer of ours is also trying to figure this noise out on another M reg Corsa but is similarly stumped. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
Chewie

try taking the jack out.... i had the same problem.... found it was the jack bouncing around between the wheen and the bottom of the wheel well

Reply to
Tom Burton

OK, I've finally got a day off work tomorrow so I can check out both suggestions.

Reply to
Chewie