maintenance checks after car has been standing for 6 months?

Hi! I've been abroad for the past 6 months and am about to start driving my car that has been parked outside, undriven for all that time. A few days ago, I drove it a short distance for an MOT test with no problems, apart from slightly juddery brakes. I checked the oil and brake fluid levels. I just wondered if there is anything else in the maintenance department, that I should check before taking it on a

30-mile drive. It's a 1994 Nissan Sunny with 45,000 on the clock.

Many thanks

Jake W

Reply to
Jake W

Assuming it passed the test, there probably isn't too much wrong with it. The brakes should settle down after a bit of use, or you could take the wheels off and make sure everything looks OK. The main risk is in assuming that because it's all ok now, it will stay that way. Sometimes things like rubber pipes,hoses, seals etc get dry when not used for a while, then crack when taken back into use. Keep checking the levels for any signs of this. Also check where you park for any leaks.

I wouldn't be too worried though.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Hi Steve, That sounds like good advice. Yes, I was wondering about the hoses and suchlike. Although the mileage on the car is low, it is getting old (13 yrs) so the perishables will be worth checking. While I was away, my friend started the car up and ran the engine for about

3 minutes every 2 months, so perhaps that will have helped.

Thanks,

Jake

Reply to
Jake W

In this months Car Mechanics mag there is a brief mention of somebody having sticky pads which resulted in rust on the disc. The owner only changed the pads, which didn't clean the rust of the disc. This resulted in the disc eating away his new pads, therefore needing to replace the new pads and discs.

Just something to consider if the discs are badly rusted when you inspect them. I wouldn't know how long discs take to rust to that extent if unused.

Regards,

Tim

Reply to
Tim