Matching metallic paint

I need to get some bits for my escort painted, namely a bonnet and a passenger side wing. I've just phoned around a few places and the prices i was quoted made my eyes water so i'm thinking thst i may have a go myself.

I've already paintred the bottom half of one of the back doors using cans of metallic paint bought from halfords and the finish is quite good considering i'd never done it before but the colour is a bit darker than the original paint.

I have access to a small compressor and a spray gun so if i get some proper paint am i likely to have more luck getting the colours to match than using cans or is it a job best left to the professionals.

I really don't want to have to spend a lot on the car as it's really not worht that much, as long as it looks OK i'll be happy.

Any tips on painting with metallic paint are also much appreciated.

kris

Reply to
tollermccallum

I think to get a match with metallic paint is an absolute lottery. The main problem is due to the way the metallic particles in the paint align themselves during the drying process. The perceived colour will depend partly on the particle alignment.

Depending on how quickly the paint dries the alignment will vary. The speed will depend on the weather, the thickness of the paint, and the temperature. I think alignment is also affected by the paint sag which will depend on whether the body panel is horizontal or vertical.

Otherwise, it's a doddle.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

How is it that bodyshops seems always to be able o get a perfect match? I was in an accident almost 2 years ago whihc resulted in the fron end of my car needing to be rebuilt and the bonnet/bumper/wings they painted were absolutely spot on colour wise to the rest of the car.

I'm going to have a go anyway. I do at least have somewhere indoors to paint this time so i guess i'll not have greenfly and god knows what else stuck to the paint :)

Reply to
tollermccallum

tollermccallum ( snipped-for-privacy@virgin.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Two answers, both of which are correct :-

  1. They don't always.
  2. They don't muck about with crappy aerosols or paint mixed to a colour code. They get the paint mixed to match what's actually on the car, fading et al, and may even take several attempts in their very expensive spray booths to get it right.
Reply to
Adrian

Yup. Had my dark green BMW repaired after a minor dent in the rear wing at the dealer - although they farmed it out - and the match was dreadful. They said it was because the paint was new and it would shortly 'fade' to match. Of course it never did.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've had good results with aerosol cans from a proper paint supplier where they mix the paint up as usual then put it in the can for you. Not great for large panels but better than the cans from halfords.

Reply to
adder1969

Proper decent paint that costs around £50/l and one of the new range of sprayguns designed especially for metallic paint. Had two repairs done on two different coloured cars and the match was spot on. £100 a shot but worth it.

Reply to
Conor