Mazda 6 airbags

Hi -

Please can anyone advise me on this?

Have just viewed a used car - 52 plate Mazda 6 on 45k. During the test drive, the airbag/seat tension warning light flashed intermittently. Although the dealer has offered to repair this, I wondered if anyone can speculate as to whether this is likely to be a routine fault (the car is due a service anyway), or whether it could be a symptom of something more serious (like whether the airbags have ever been triggered in an accident). Also any suggestions how I tell whether it has been repaired properly (don't want them to just disconnect the light!)

Any comments?

Also - the car has 45k and is due a service - anyone know when the timing belt is due for replacement and how big a job this is on a Mazda 6?

Many thanks

Russell

Reply to
Russell

It's usually a switch that needs replacing; if the airbags have deployed there are likely to be many other clues.

Not to worry about it.

Hmm. Short of crashing ;) you could try taking it to a Mazda dealership.

Reply to
DervMan

Dont know about the Mazda specifically but on a Rover there are connectors under the front seats that are notorious for going high-resistance and lots of people simple remove them altogether. The second usual cause is the steering wheel coupler, which I have just replaced on mine, since when the SRS light has not reappeared. That's not cheap though, so make sure it gets fixed properly.

Again with the Rover the light flashes briefly on switch on, so they wouldn't simply be able to disconnect it.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cap

That might make sense as the connector was actually visible on the floor under the driver's seat and it seemed to be in a place where it could easily be kicked or damaged.

Thanks for the prompt replies.

Anyone know about the timing belt?

Russell

Reply to