Mazda 6 Tyre Wear

Hi all

Yes I've read the reports and know that these cars tend to be heavy on tyres both front and rear. But I started getting noise at around 40-50mph (like womp womp womp) and looking at the nearside rear tyre I notice it is worn heavily on the outside and hardly at all on the inside. The offside rear tyre is worn similarly, but to no where near the same extent. Anyone suggest a reason for this - surely it can't be down to tyre pressures (I tend to keep them around 35psi and don't check them as often as I should to be honest).

Thanks for any input

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

"TheScullster" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Get the suspension alignment checked - it might have a bent rear arm.

Reply to
Adrian

also have a look at the shocks wheel and bearings.

But as you say usually starts with an alignment problem.

Reply to
Rob

"Adrian" wrote

Thanks Adrian

What do you mean by "arm" please?

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Oh and can it be straightened or is it a replacement job? What sort of money are we talking for garage fix?

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

I'd be worried that you might have a large sidewall bulge (on the inside) with this womping noise.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

or some tread making a bid for freedom.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

"TheScullster" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

The suspension component that the hub is mounted on.

I don't know Mazda 6s, and you don't say what age it is, so it's difficult to be more precise, but it really does sound as if something's not pointing the right way.

Reply to
Adrian

I had that happen on an old Standard 10, and thought it was the crown wheel & pinion, until one day I was walking up towards my house where the car was parked on the high point of the drive, and I spotted the tyre bulge.

The tube was just beginning to show through a slit in the sidewall, and on RH bends it was catching the bodywork. Nasty blowout avoided.

Reply to
Gordon H

The wear being excessive on the outside of the NS rear could perhaps be balanced by going the wrong way round roundabouts for a few months. Obligatory - 8-) as disclaimer.

Reply to
Gordon H