Mazda Premacy remote died

My dad's got a Y plate Mazda Premacy, 2 litre TDI i think

it's got the factory fit alarm and imobiliser, which has a remote plipper thing, that has 2 buttons, 'lock' and 'unlock',

a few weeks ago they went down to gatwick in the car to go on holiday, and the remote locking/alarm arming decided to pack in, there's no led on the plipper to give an indication that it's sending a signal like on most remotes,

he changed the battery, and that made no differacne,

the car still locks and unlocks with centeral locking if you use the key in the lock, and the indicators flash as they did before to indicate the alarm is being turned on and off, and the car starts fine etc, so i'm assuming it's the remot plipper that's died.

Is there any known faults of this type for this car? mazda want £100 for a replacement remote plipper, but we want to be sure it is that that's gone, and not the reciever part of the alarm in the car, the mazda dealer is a good 3 hour drive from us, so at the moment were looking for other ways to determin what's the fault.

I've read about places that can clone remote plippers, places that cut car keys etc, a mate had one done for a peugeot car, bought the key blade and had it cut, then they put his remote on a machine that read the code, and programmed a new remote to work the same as the origional, and made it into a key with the remot all in one (i was after this service to incorporate my vans alarm remote into an all in one key and plipper, but couldent find anyone localy who even knew you could make up ones for cars that had combined remotes and keys, let alone make one up for a van that never had an alarm option)

Anyway, seems this town is a bit lacking in technical places, anyone got any ideas what kinds of shops offer the remote colning thingy?? firstly i need to get the remote tested out, so someone who can make a new remote should have this equipment, i've tried operating the remote near an amplifier that picks up every radio operated device in the house.. mobile phone, dect phone, wireless keyboard for hte computer etc, but it dosent seem to be picking up any signal from the cars remote, so it could well be dead, or out of the frequancy range the amp likes to pick up things on.

Cheers for any suggestions or help.

Gazz

Reply to
CampinGazz